teaching seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Firethorn, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

I posted this on barter board also :

I am looking for heirloom seeds. especialy fruit. berries, apples, squash etc. But any would be great. Organic would also be great. I am also looking for stories to go with the seeds, even if they are first generation stories. It has to start somewhere. It is starting with us. I think this will be a great tool for my childern.
    I just dont have the time to browse the web hopeing to find a sourse.plus there would be no stories.

Thanks in advance.
    Mrs C.

2. kathrynlmv

kathrynlmv Well-Known Member

Mrs. C, Am willing to send you some seeds...some flowers and today I just came across some zucchini seeds that my ex-husband's grandmother brought over from Serbia when they emigrated in the 1940's....don't get your hopes up....they may never sprout....but I'm going to give them every chance....there's a good many.....and if they do...some will be yours. Kathrynlmv

3. Firethorn

Oh, I would be so honored! I will be glad also to pay the shipping. Just let me know the info in a pm. Thank You so much.The flowers? are they also heirlooms?

Also can anyone recomend a good book for gathering seeds from the things you grow. We need all the help we can get. :rolleyes:

Mrs C.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member

Hi Here is something I am doing with my 13 y.o. son now. We really get a kick out of seeing things sprout. Especially since it's something we use as a seasoning all the time. Here are a few examples from our spice rack:

dill, celery, mustard, sesame, lavender (from my potpourris), achiote (poor people's saffron), poppy, coriander, red chilies ( from our pizza seasoning)

To determine if the seeds will sprout, Wet a paper towel (sturdier than napkins) and place it on a plastic lid. Sprinkle the seeds and place inside a clear plastic bag and secure with a twist tie. Place in a warm place away from light. Mist as needed.

As they sprout, you can take a q-tip and gently lift them from the towel into a seedling tray or other small pot (read that shallow) that has dampened potting soil. and cover with a 1/2 inch of damp not muddy soil. Place a plastic baggie over it to retain moisture. Mist as needed.

Eventually you will see the sprouted seedling. At this point they will need a warm sunny spot. A window with southern exposure is good. If the window is drafty, place a piece of clear plastic as a barrier. We use an old aquarium.

Continue to repot as the plant gets larger as you would any other seedlings. When they get 4 sets of true leaves, pinch off the top 2 and they will bush out nicely.

Hope this helps! Kids learn more when they are having fun.
    sylvia

5. Firethorn

Goodness! Thank you. That is alot of info to digest. It may take me a couple of weeks to get to the web sites. I am s ure this will help.

I am still looking for book sugestions though.
    Mrs C.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

'The New Seed Starter's Handbook' by Nancy Bubel

'Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners'
    by Suzanne Ashworth, Kent Whealy

These are good. You might find them at the library.

7. Firethorn

Thank you, Ill go to half price to see if i can find them. I like to own my books. If not I pay so much in late fees I might as well have bought them. :eek: