Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dau. and SIL have good jobs, my grdau. lives with them, and her 3 children-just to give you background. I also have a divorced GR son that's there for Christmas, with his children.
I've always been upset at the way Christmas is handeled, kids rip open a present, while watching to see if one of the others have something they like better--then--on to the next gift, ripping paper, watching, ripping more paper, never taking time to enjoy any present.--And-They get a lot!!
This year, grson had another of his children, that he dosent have custody of--She's three.
The absolute look of Joy, and Wonder on her face, made my Christmas-untill I noticed her father. She was opening a gift-and wasnt tearing paper fast enough for him, so he rips off the paper- and "Oh, There was a DOLL" her face lit up, and she reached for it-He grabbed it, stuck it in a sack, started ripping off paper from another gift--sticking it in a sack--while her eyes followed, then sneaked looks at the Doll, barely visible, under all the presents.
Thats when I realized, greed is taught-and thats whats wrong with Christmas presents today-We hardly ever get to enjoy the wonderment, suprise, and look on a little ones face.

·
tryna be His
2,199 Posts
That is so very very sad. I think adults really do tend to ruin things for kids. Kids have a natural sense of wonder and amazement at the world and the environment around them, and we tell them to "hurry up." or like you posted, a child truly enjoys something and can't really give it a good once over, before the "well-meaning" parent shoves it in a bag, so they can "hurry" and open the next gift. You are right. Our society was slowly taught to be the way it is.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Okay Granma/Grandpa.....go get that doll and give it to the three year old and play with her! Show the others what it's supposed to be :) Man....I'd be smacking that father upside the head by now.

My grandmother had a rule when we opened presents. You open your presents one at a time, and you show it to everyone. Then the next person gets to open one of theirs. It was really great because all the kids got their time in the limelight, every toy was shown around, and all the adults were doing the "OOHHH!!! AHHHH!" things so you KNEW you had a great toy! even the gloves and socks were appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Wisconsin Ann, that's how we open our gifts, too. The names on the tag get read out loud and everyone has their picture taken opening each gift.

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
That's the way we do it here. My boys wouldn't dream of not waiting for whoever is opening their gift and ripping into something. Each tag is read and the giver is thanked BEFORE the gift is opened and again AFTER the gift is opened.

My 15yo stopped in the middle of unwrapping a package this morning, looked at his father and I and said, "I love you guys, Merry Christmas!"

You're right. Greed, impatience and the need for immediate gratification are TAUGHT. So are good manners, appreciation and gratitude.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
The year that my sister died the whole family came home to my parents' for Christmas. My sister in law, who has a lot of "issues" with our family, lol, borrowed a car and disappeared for the entire day on Christmas Eve. They had already shipped boxes of gifts down before they flew from Texas, so we never imagined that she was off shopping. That's where she was though- she came back at super time, then disappeared into a back bedroom and spent the entire evening wrapping more gifts. When we got up the next morning the sight under the tree was obscene with the amount of gifts. I think Christmas was on a Thursday that year and sil and her family were leaving on Sunday. The kids opened gifts until they were sick of it. On Sunday morning there was still a big pile under the tree and when the adults rounded up the kids to finish opening them before they left for the airport, the kids just groaned and said "do we have to open more presents?"

Can you imagine? "Do we HAVE to open more presents?". LOL. Who'd of thunk you'd ever hear kids complain about opening presents? But that's how far over the top my sil is.

The sad thing is, she never "got" that we missed her company and would have rather spent the day visiting with her than to have had her spend all day out shopping for more presents that no one needed or even wanted.

I try to convince myself that she over-bought in part because everyone was still in shock over my sister's unexpected death, and we all felt so sorry for my sister's two kids, and wanted them to have a 'good" Christmas even though their mom was not there. But, it didn't fly. And she does that every Christmas, although not to such an extent. But she is the kind of person who thinks you can treat people like dirt all year, then send or show up with a gift and expect all to be forgiven and forgotten. That is the kind of hypocrisy I can't stand about Christmas.

Fortunately, the kids have not all learned from her. Most of the kids in our family are more about the caring part of Christmas than the gifts. Thank goodness, lol.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
I prefer to give to children when it isn't Christmas. Less overwhelming.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Our children, grchildren, and grt grchildren, and niece and her kids come over for Christmas Eve. And all of the young ones are really grt about the gifts they receive. Our neices oldest daughter is the oldest of the little ones as she is 8, but I think we could wrap up a pce of coal and she would be thrilled. They are all so happy of whatever we give them so I quess we are blessed or they have been taught to be polite about it. But, they are all good kids and we had a wonderful Christmas eve.

RenieB

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
Okay Granma/Grandpa.....go get that doll and give it to the three year old and play with her! Show the others what it's supposed to be :) Man....I'd be smacking that father upside the head by now.

I agree. That young man would get an ear full if he were my grandson!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts