Tea Tree Oil

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by randy in central missouri, Mar 13, 2005.

1. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

does anyone know where to buy tea tree oil in the bulk. i work at a girls home and would like to add it too all the kids shampoo. i know walmart has a small bottle, but i want like a gallon or so.

randy

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I'm not sure why you want to do that. The instructions on the bottle I have says to avoid getting tea tree oil in the eyes or mucous membranes. I can speak from experience that tea tree oil will extremely irritate the skin much less the eyes. You can dilute it for use on the skin (I don't have directions for that) but the directions label also specifically warns against using it on the face unless diluted.

3. All country

All country Well-Known Member

There is tea tra oil in my spray on/leave in conditioner.

I ordered my tea tree oil from www.reneal.com

We use it for a lot of things including adding some to my home made soaps.

4. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know the size, but our 8 dollar bottle from the health food store (the size of a bottle of "extract like coconut etc.) would last for a long time, adding a couple of drops to shampoo.

It would not sting any more than the shampoo once it was mixed in with shampoo. I assume this would mix okay. I always hear to mix it with a "carrier oil",

I use tea tree oil on my feet (for fungus prevention, and moisturizing) and add 3 or four drops to a cap of almond oil.

5. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

You can buy Tea Tree oil shampoo at Sally Beauty Supply or any other beauty supply company. It's not very expensive at all..I just bought 2 1 liter bottles for $10. If you know someone in the hair biz they can order the gallon sizes of shampoo.

The only problem with adding on your own is, are you sure you know the exact amount to add? Tea tree oil can burn the skin if not diluted correctly.

Tea Tree shampoo is the best stuff out there for dry scalp or dandruff..they also make a conditioner. I've also heard that it's good for repeling lice.

6. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Wow :eek: a gallon or so? that's a lot of TTO, Being a pure essential oil...a little goes quite a long ways. In my opinion~ ¼-½oz. per gallon or about 8-10 pounds of shampoo, (by the shampoo bottle, 10-15 drops in a bottle is adequate)
    Precautions should be taken for essential oil storage and monitor for allergic reactions as well.
    A Garden Eastward
    or
    Camden-Grey Essential oils

7. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

Here's a link to a site which reviews possible toxicity issues with essential oils. Tea tree is one that's on the list with potential problems. Which is a shame, cause I love tea tree oil, too.

http://eethomp.com/AT/dangerous_oils.html

8. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

To clarify, what the above link states about tea tree oil: "Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) - can sensitize if used undiluted."

Moral is...never apply tea tree oil, unless it is diluted in a carrier oil, and if it irritates yout skin, stop using it.

I am editing this post because Tea tree oil is listed in a couple of places on the website linked above. What I quoted initially was in the author's "irritants and sensitizers" page. What I have pasted below appears on the main page.

Quote: Methyleugenol: It has become clear that methyleugenol (ME), a phenolic compound with a clovelike aroma, is a systemic carcinogen (13-18) in rodents and damages DNA in human cell cultures. ME has a threshold effect - that is to say small amounts are safe but large amounts carcinogenic. Most of us are already exposed to small (and probably safe) amounts of methyleugenol through common flavorings, so the IFRA has published some very restrictive recommendations about the use of ME in fragrances, including in room fragrancing. New safe usage guidelines for most of these oils fall below 0.1% for general skin use and below 2% for inhalation (like in aromalamps). It's not clear whether ME actually makes it through the skin in aromatherapy use, but these oils often contain over 5% ME and should probably be avoided.

Allspice (Pimenta dioica, P. officinalis)
    Basil, linalool chemotype (Oncimum basilicum ct. linalool)
    Bay, West Indian (Pimenta racemosa) 0-5%
    Laurel Leaf or Bay Laurel (Laurus nobilis)
    Melaleuca bracteata - very high amounts!
    Ravensara (Ravensara aromatica)
    Tarragon (Artemesia dracunculis)
    Tea Tree, methyl eugenol chemotype (Melaleuca leucadendra)"

9. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member