TB testing?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I've decided i"m going to test my goats for a couple diseases... But I can't find any info on TB. I know my herd queen, Daisy, came from a TB free herd, and she had a tag in her ear which we removed soon after we got her as it was nastily infected and gross... Anywho, I was wondering if they have to be tagged when they are tested... And who do I contact to do the test?

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

the vet has to come out and do the test. i think it is not required in michigan anymore. no tags necessary

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Most goat breeders only test their goats for CAE, CL and sometimes Johnnes unless they are shipping the animals out of state. Brucilossis and TB are almost unheard of in goats, but more common in cattle. Since cattle are a more popular form of livestock, some states require testing for these diseases before any ruminants are allowed to be transported. We had to have our vet TB test our goats we were selling to a dairy in Minnesota.

4. ForMyACDs

ForMyACDs Well-Known Member

TB is tested by a vet. Yes, in some areas of Michigan it is required to test livestock for TB in order to move them as some counties are NOT TB free, but the majority of Michigan is TB free. If you are coming from a TB free area and move an animal in to a TB zone in Michigan it DOES have to be tested, but the only other purpose for testing is for your own information or if you are travelling to another state (many states require testing).

The vet comes out and injects the underside of all the animals. If they are not registered and don't have an identifying tattoo then they must be tagged. If you have registered does & the does are tattooed then that is sufficient identification. If I remember correctly, the vet returns in 48 hours to look at the underside of the tail to be sure there is no reaction and fills out the paperwork.