Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The taxes in our county have gotten so bad, that elderly people (retired/fixed income) are having to sell their property and move to smaller plots or to town. AND prices are SKY HIGH!

We are hearing stories like this from all our friends:
parents purchased 30acres and a house 66yrs ago. This yr. taxes are $6000+. father died 20 something yrs. ago and mom is on SS and has a little savings. HOW on earth can someone on SS just afford the taxes and insurance on a place?? So, she decided to sell--had it appraised....It is now worth 1.5 MILLION! Her daughters said to price it at 2million and then she can have 'wiggle' room. I have no doubt that it will sell. We have become a resort area and horse country (winter sables for all those rich Northerns). In our tiny little town land is going for $10,000-25,000+ an acre. Lots (less than a acre) in town can be 60,000!

How will my grandchildren (or anyone's grandkids) ever be able to afford property?

Sorry for my rant. It's just so sad to see these elderly people have to sell their land because they can't pay taxes...QB

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
A good friend's son bought a modest home in Indianapolis two years ago, taking into account that the property taxes were $560 a year. This year they went to $2200. With a wife, baby, and another on the way they are selling their very modest home.

Property taxes should be outlawed anyway. They are rent on property you already own. It's shameful.

Our local paper last week had all the places that are going to be sold for back taxes. Normally there are 10 or 12 per year - this year there were over 100.

·
newfieannie
9,195 Posts
my place in the country is in an area with the lowest taxes in nova scotia. I myself only pay $600 a year or so.but I only have a few acres. In the city I pay 3000 a year. fortunately I am able to do it but I have heard of many who have had to sell their homes. they were only getting old age pensions and a little supplement and just were not able to make ends meet let alone maintain a home. a lot of those people had to go into homes where the government paid I don't know how much to look after them after the money they got for their homes was gone and some of them didn't last long after that and it is such a shame! ... Georgia.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The same thing has happened in GA. It is crazy and I don't understand how young people can start out. On the other hand, I don't understand how someone who sells a property (that likely has no mortgage on it) for $1.5 mill could have trouble finding a lovely place to move to in the same area but with less acreage. I am not elderly but have had to relocate for economic reasons. My mother is elderly and has had to relocate for the same reasons.

Also, I moved south 11 years ago and have seen far more disposable income being spent down here (by southerners) than I ever saw in all my years in NY. Rich people are all over the country.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,869 Posts
Mom and Dan built the house I grew up in. It cost them $19,000 in 1957. Two bedroom, two bath, one car garage. When Mom died two years ago, because she had a homestead exemption and the over-65 freeze on the taxes, they cost $1,400 per year. The next year, they were over $4000 due to not having the exemptions.

This year, the city/county appraisal value on the house was $240,850. I went to the protest hearing and got them to lower it by $10,000. The taxes will most likely still be over $4000, but not over $5000, as the estimate listed.

Rents are so high here in Austin, that I am able to rent the house for enough to pay the taxes and insurance, plus a little. My best friend from high school is living in it, and she's one tidy woman!! Don't think I could handle a regular renter off the street, but this way we get to keep the house in case I decide to move back here or my other son moves back eventually.

I don't know how regular folks manage in this town!

6,637 Posts
Queen Bee said:
The taxes in our county have gotten so bad, that elderly people (retired/fixed income) are having to sell their property and move to smaller plots or to town. AND prices are SKY HIGH!

We are hearing stories like this from all our friends:
parents purchased 30acres and a house 66yrs ago. This yr. taxes are $6000+. father died 20 something yrs. ago and mom is on SS and has a little savings. HOW on earth can someone on SS just afford the taxes and insurance on a place?? So, she decided to sell--had it appraised....It is now worth 1.5 MILLION! Her daughters said to price it at 2million and then she can have 'wiggle' room. I have no doubt that it will sell. We have become a resort area and horse country (winter sables for all those rich Northerns). In our tiny little town land is going for $10,000-25,000+ an acre. Lots (less than a acre) in town can be 60,000!

How will my grandchildren (or anyone's grandkids) ever be able to afford property?

Sorry for my rant. It's just so sad to see these elderly people have to sell their land because they can't pay taxes...QB
Stories like this boil my blood! :flame: :flame:

There is something morally wrong when elderly people are taxed off land they have owned most of their lives. If I had it my way, one polotitian would go to prison for every case like this.

There is a need for taxes, but when a scociety's public appetite is so great that accomodations can not be made to keep elderly in their homes then the public is spending to much money, and someone needs to be in prison.

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
In IL, a senior has some options. Extra exemption if disabled vet and/or over 65. You can freeze your assessment if your household income is less than $50K. And you can defer property taxes until the property is sold (interest does accrue). You have to live in it of course. And if I'm not mistaken, the household income rules are pretty tight so you can't hide behind tax exempt interest etc.
Of course some municipalities have been suckered by the eco-terrorists. The developers seem to profit but not have to assume risk and some expense (roads, sewer, water, etc). Plus in increase need for EMT, police, fire dept. etc. It is a most excellent way to force those with 'prime' property to sell because the greedy bunch doesn't care the owner(s) have lived there for their entire lives.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The elderly lady is so sad because this is her HOME- she and her late husband lived there all their married life, raise their family, retired there and she wants to stay there and leave it to her child and grandkids. Now she will have to sell it, pay taxes on that money and move to another place or a retirement home. She was a homemaker all her life..SS is her only real income and that is what her husband had.. :Bawling: Sad, sad story. Queen Bee who hopes she will never have to sell her home place because of taxes..

·
Registered
557 Posts
Queen Bee said:
The elderly lady is so sad because this is her HOME- she and her late husband lived there all their married life, raise their family, retired there and she wants to stay there and leave it to her child and grandkids. Now she will have to sell it, pay taxes on that money and move to another place or a retirement home. She was a homemaker all her life..SS is her only real income and that is what her husband had.. :Bawling: Sad, sad story. Queen Bee who hopes she will never have to sell her home place because of taxes..

Unfortunately it is happening all over NC. I live in Harnett County and subdivision after subdivision is going up! We are not so much "horse" country as we are "golfing communities".... :flame: It is sad that folks are having to sell off the land they own. Most places are also being re-zoned from farming land to residential. Not much farm land to be had anymore in these parts. I wonder if there is anyplace in NC that has not been touched so much by progress yet? :shrug:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I understand it is sad for elderly people to have to sell out. I guess what I was trying to say is that at least she will not have to struggle financially which does happen with a lot of people who have to leave their homes. Nonetheless, I'm sure she feels terrible about not being able to stay put and the fact that she is being pushed out by taxes makes it worse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts