Taxes and Internet

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by madmarchie, Jul 27, 2004.

1. madmarchie

madmarchie Active Member

Does any one know of a country that has low or no taxes? There's a whole world out there to homestead besides America.

Also does anyone know about off the grid internet. Say one set up housekeeping in a part of South America where a traditional ISP was hard to tap into or although one was in the US they chose not to have outside wires coming on their property? I have this nifty little box that plugs into my cable and magically emits a wireless signal but what if I couldn't have highspeed DSL let alone the T-1 lines I know some friends in new development houses have. I have heard of wireless cards that will allow a person to open there laptop anywhere and be connected to the interenet. So for instance you can be driving down the interstate and be on the internet (I'm sure the gov is all over this technology). For the average person this type of wireless internet is offered by 2 or 3 big phone companies and it's fairly expensive and there are still gaps in service when one gets too far from a metro area. Besides all these points if I was truly comitted to self sufficiency I wouldn't want Sprint PCS tuning into Where, When and Why I was online with this amazing roaming internet connection. So is there a way to run an internet tower that one could use just for their family? Can a person have their own server and is there a way to connect to the whole web via waves rather than wires? You could be like your own ISP possibly?

Can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts and suggestions

-Ginger

2. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

Satellite Internet service is available from Direct TV. It is relatively expensive from what I hear, like about $70 a month once the equipment is paid for. I don't know too much about it. Since I don't use the intrnet to make a living I am still poking along with dial up. But the satellite are in the sky and the world goes round and round.............

3. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Since taxes are affixed by goverments and fueled by national income, pick a poor nation going through a revolution ( no money. no govt, but also no established legal protections) if you want to have low or no taxes. Of course you will probably pay out more on neccesisties such as firepower than you will save on taxes. Good luck on your search. Have fun.

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

My thought is mostly - What does this person have to hide????? Wow! :)

Satellites will eventually get to the point of offering internet service globally, but it might be a long wait yet. They have the lag time because of their distance; and at this point 2-way communication is pretty spendy, most setups still require a phone line to upload, do large data downloads with the antenna.

Without a government, there is no infrastructure so you won't have any access to other wireless systems.

Wireless infrastructure costs a huge bundle of money per site. Either you need to pay taxes & get it subsidised from a rather large government which has excess tax money to spend on such frills; you need to pay a vary large teleco type company and be in a metro area where such things pay; or you need to hit several lotto numbers & be able to afford many millions to build your own system.

Fear is a terrible thing.

--->Paul

5. madmarchie

madmarchie Active Member

Paul I don't have anything to hide now and yes maybe I am slightly paranoid about the gov but that's my perogative and I'm not quaking in my boots every day. In looking to the future I wonder if the way our government is going alot of the freedoms we take for granted may cease to exist. It doesn't seems too far fetched to me that in say 50 yrs if the gov so much as doesn't like what you are discussing or researching on line that they will be able to discipline someone in someway. You can call me crazy, it's okay everybody has there own ways of looking at the world. Thanks for responding to my post!

- Ginger

6. Several companies discovered licence agreements are exempt from the usual consumer protections we in the USA have, so soon everything will be a rental. Starting with software, seeds, and credit cards, but will be much more.

Cameras are taking over law enforcement, we will be on photo record nearly everywhere we go.

Computers have made data record keeping & sorting quite inexpensive, and more & more data is direct-collected into comuter data bases, to be access only if/when 'needed'.

The govt would like to keep a more detailed record on all of us. Simpley what govts are all about. And remember, govt is 'us'.

Put it all together, & 1984 never was too far fetched. Some days I share your views.

As long as you don't look for a conspiricy under _every_ rock. :) :)

Infrastructure costs money, going to take someone with money to provide the infrastructure backbone. As I see it.

--->Paul

7. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Direcway internet by satelite is 650.00 for dish and install and then 59.99 per month for service, pricy but in my humble opinion well worth the money to be able to tie in with you all!