Tax your well water? Raise your taxes? Regulate your septic?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ozarkguy, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

URGENT INFORMATION for all about the Ozarks

OZARKS INFO!

Parts of the Ozarks now have a "super sewer district" for the Upper White River Basin Watershed.

This recently passed law allows officials the power to raise your taxes, put meters on your wells (and charge YOU for the water used), regulate your septic system, and keep your livestock out of any water source.

Additionally, now any two residents of the county can file a septic related complaint and enable inspection of private property.

These private property rights are important to all who live or care about the Ozarks, and all Americans everywhere.

There's too much IMPORTANT information to post at so many websites, so PLEASE read OZARKS INFO here:

http://minifarmhome.proboards25.com/index.cgi

Then click on the section called "OZARKS INFO"

If you love the Ozarks, you'll understand we must stick together on this.

Ozarkguy

2. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

:) join the real world. Won't be long before the Federal building rules get to your place.

3. dale

dale Well-Known Member

I know that the MO DNR is very interested in the Well Water Levels Or Water levels in ground water.
    In our city we have one well not in use, the DNR has written us telling us we have to have it capped or a heavy fine.. Now they want to put a measuring device at the top of the well that will use lasers to bounce off the water and take readings of the flucation of the water levels. The Closes one to our city is about 35 miles away in Texas Co.
    They are even going to pay for having the pump pulled.

last few years with the drought there has been many private wells going dry and the well drillers have had to go back and redrill them deeper because of the water level dropping.

So now they want to make it where you have to pay for the well you paid for?
    something is really wrong about that.

Our city of 552 goes thru 4 million gallions of water a month.. thats a lot of water. When we have an audit we have to show where that amount of water went and that we collected for it. if not then we get a "black" mark on your audit

4. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I think that is absoultiy crazy!!! For crying out loud when are those people going to leave us folks alone?? They tax the you know what out of us as it is. I for one will NOT let anyone on our property to change anything without a HUGE fight that is total BS!! We paid extra to live 'out' and even tho the city limits has reached my property line it will NOT come over. I have already forwarned them to leave our place alone. They tried to make us hook up to sewer there is only 3 people on our road we all said NO!! So far they have left us alone is been about 9 years since so...... Big words huh LOL I will battle them till the bitter end tho.

5. Well I might be a oddball here but if it means cleaner streams then I am all for it. I live just inside Oklahoma in the Ozark foothills right next to a spring creek that I grew up on. And I'm telling you, I have fond memories of all us kids and neighborhood kids all playing and having a good time in the creeks around here. People didn't have swimming pools in their backyard then. If you wanted to cool off everybody went swimming down at the bluff. And the aquatic life was very abundant, you would see big schools of minnows swimming everywhere. Crawdads under every rock and small exotic fish that you would think came from the coral reefs. But not anymore. You look at the creek now and all you see is green slime growing all across the bottom. Very few minnows, very few crawdads, and no exotic fish whatsoever. Nobody plays in the creek now!

6. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Don't be fooled....it is not a way to make things "environmentally better." Just about every one of the governmental regulations regarding folks own land, water, sewer, etc. in some way or the other results in MORE MONEY for whatever governing body is in control, whether it is in "fees," outright taxes, licenses, or whatever....I've been an investigative newspaper reporter 26 years and this has gotten worse and worse...

The building codes that are "supposed" to make buildings safer for renters, etc. are usually just ways cities make money because the ones who do the shoddy buildings too many times can get by with just payng off the city officials...

My dad was a contractor and now my husband is a licensed electrician and we see it all the time...

Also, why does the government think they have the right to make sure a house that I buy or that I build or that I live in is "safe" for me....surely we as individuals have enough sense to take care of ourselves.....oh....but those poor folks who don't....they should learn!

Water is a valuable resource and currently in our county it is being used as a political football, so badly that the other newspaper here is being fed stories about the situation because I wouldn't print things SLANTED the way the governmental bodies wanted me too! This is a way between governmental agenices in three counties...I want this best for our county but I feel deeply that the public has a right to know the facts and then make up their own minds! Not be hand-fed only the facts that the public officials want them to know....

7. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Afraid I have to agree with Boxwoods. These kinds of regulations have been in place for years in most California and Colorado counties. The population has dramatically increased in Arkansas in the last decade. I'm afraid some of that simple living is a casualty of those kinds of population increases. Your best defense is to stay involved and stay on top of every new law being considered in regulating your land and water use. Be a vigilant watchdog. Lawyer/legislators who have no experience with farming/ranching (and we won't get on the soapbox of what else they have ZERO experience in) can introduce all kinds of bills that severely jeopardize farms/homesteads.
    So sorry to hear it's happening your way.
    BW

8. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Way of the world. More people, more problems. The huge population increase here for sure has affected the water table. I have already figured on having to move from NW AR within few years. Writing is on the wall. Shame as I for most part really like my place here and had hoped to live out my life here. I could play hide and seek and move to less populated county in this area but that would just gain few years and I hate moving. Better to find most remote, unrestricted place I can that still has water and move once. If big brother still wont let me live out my life in peace and low taxes, then I'll sell everything and move out of the USA altogether.

9. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

foot note on all of this, before anyone panics, the main reason this is happening is because of the runoff and pollution going into lake taney co mo , and the like , from the large amount of poultry farms, they have also added into the area some hefty regulating for the large poultry farms, some of this might be negative to the little guy , but not all ,
    i for one know theres a mobile home down the road that has been here for at least 7 years , and has no septic, but the do have a well, they have been piping thier waste into a pool thats about 60 feet from a creek , which of course ends up in the white river watershed ....

10. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

well there are parts of ar.if you have more then 10 acres you dont need a septic but common sense should tell you to keep it farther away from water

11. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

If you drive a car, I’ll tax the street,
    If you try to sit, I’ll tax your seat,
    If you get too cold, I’ll tax the heat,
    If you take a walk, I’ll tax your feet.

12. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I think every septic tank should have "poopmeter" :haha:
    The first one's should be installed in CA. They always want to be the inovators over there.

13. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to the real world, the rest of us have been living with this for a couple decades. About time you catch up. :)

Where I live, you can't kill a cattail. Or drain any water within 3 miles of a cattail.

--->Paul

14. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Yup. It's not here yet. I figured we'd have about 10 years (and that was 4 years ago) before I'd have to keep the cows out of the creeks and pond. The pond is the one that gets me...that's why it's there!

Oh well. I still figure I got 6 years to go.

Jena