Tattooing with henna

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sancraft, Jul 21, 2005.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I want to mark my goats to make sure I can locate them in the event they become missing. I will be going up every other day. My question - Can I tattoo their ears with henna. I even thought about tattooing their bodies with "I belong to Sandra Mathis, phone # xxx-xxx-xxxx. I am not for sale. Please call my owner. I have been stolen." Would this work?

2. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

As I have never had goats, this is just an idea. Could you take some neon spray paint and paint a "brand" on them?? Or maybe use the marking sticks you can get at farm supply stores for marking livestock. They come in bright colors and are hard to wash off (beware your clothes). Sure hope your goats do not "take a walk" !

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

4. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

I don't know about tattooing their ears. In England sheep are marked with big numbers and symbols with some sort of dye. In order to get rid of it, you must shear them.

A better message might be "Stolen from Sandra Mathis, Phone # xxx-xxx-xxxx. Might get you more phone calls that way. Especially after having one for dinner, the crooks go out and write your number on many bathroom walls. :help: :stars:

5. debra in ks

debra in ks Well-Known Member

In my experience henna only lasts 2 weeks under the best circumstances. One little girl I know got paid $30.00 for a big one on her back, went swimming several days later and it was gone by the end of the day.

Know anyone how does real tatoos? That might work, if you can get the critters to hold still for it.

6. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I do henna and you would be better off tattooing or spray painting. Some henna can hurt you esp. the black henna. I have henna'd many people and never had a problem yet. Have you considered getting them chipped?

7. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

If you can find someone around you with a small animal tattooer like for rabbits with the clamps and letters, you could tattoo in their ears and tail. We tattoo our lamanchas in the tail. You could put 3 lines, small of course, down the tail. I don't think your average joe would look at the tail for a tattoo, but might shave off the hair if it was written on and if they were really desperate.