Tattooing with henna

Discussion in 'Goats' started by sancraft, Jul 21, 2005.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

My goats are going to have to come to my property about a week before we get there full time. All 68 of my chickens and guineas were stolen from my neighbor's house. I want to mark my goats to make sure I can locate them in the event they become missing. I will be going up every other day. My question - Can I tattoo their ears with henna. I even thought about tattooing their bodies with I belong to Sandra Mathis, phone # xxx-xxx-xxxx. I am not for sale. Please call my owner. I have been stolen. Would this work?

2. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

Maybe, but only for 3 weeks. And goats can go to auction and end up over 100 miles away within just a few days. Henna is supposed to fade after a while isn't it? I think the goats would be gone and so would the tattoos. If you found a vet that could micro chip them they will always be findable, I don't know how expensive it is though. Good luck.

3. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Have you used henna? What I have used would not work for tattooing. If you could manage to actually get it under the skin, it would fade in a short time.
    Don't you have a friend who might like the adventure of camping with the goats for a week?
    How about dying them? Maybe bright pink. Easier to spot quickly!
    Good luck!

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

:(
    You didn't mention that on the poultry board. Are you sure your neighbor didn't sell them?

5. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I used to henna my hair all the time and it takes at least 1/2 hr to set, and the color doesn't stay long in the hands- too greasy. Regular tattoos would be the best ID- it'll hold up in court, anyway.
    You could get a hog or sheep paint/marker and write on them. Can buy these from Nasco or farm supply. These marks have to wear off. Any message would discourage a thief, but I would print "scrapie" or "TB +" on them. Any stockyard is going to ask some hard questions if someone shows up with a load of goats with those marks regardless of any disease in your state.