tattooing and tests

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I have heard from so many people that individual states require an identification means in order to sell stock, like a registration #, a tattoo, an ear tag or a microchip. I would be willing to tattoo my goats, but i cannot find anything online for identification rules in Michigan! since my goat's arent registered, i can't find a place to get a herd tatto number either. Is there such a thing? it seems like there would be, because there are alot of tattooed mutts for sale, or unregistered animals it seems like.
    what is scrapies by the way? that came up soooo often during my searches.
    Also, i was wondering what kind of tests I should do here. Daisy came with a metal tag in her ear, from a TB free herd, and I have seen people advertise about being "cae" (and something else i can't remember), free. where do I get these tests done? I have asked that before, but i dont' remember what people said.

2. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

Ok I will try and answer your questions. You get a herd tattoo for non registered animals from your state vet or livestock and poultry commission, this is called a scrapie ID. I am not sure though if you don't have registered animals if they will issue a tattoo, I would ask and don't let them beat around the bush about it.
    Scrapies is a predominately sheep disease. I think that there may have been a handful of goats that have came up with scrapies but they had been running with sheep for a long period of time.
    As far as testing, I think you are talking about testing for CAE and CL, you can get that done at several different labs. You can draw blood or have a vet do it for you and you snd it in. You can have both tests run on the same blood sample. You can go to http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/caefaq.asp
    and learn about CAE and CL and find out how to test your stock for it. Also read the CAE & CL sticky that is at the top of the forum.
    Hope this helps......

3. ForMyACDs

ForMyACDs Well-Known Member

Okay......here are the Michigan rules in a nutshell.

If you have animals registered by a registry that records tattoo numbers that corolate with the location of the animal when born (ADGA is one, I don't know what others might be out there....the tattoo in the right ear for ADGA is the location where the kid was born) AND the animal is being sold WITH it's registration papers then that is considered sufficient identification for Scrapies. The tattoo on the registration papers MUST match the tattoo on the goat.

If the animals are not registered or the registry does not have a location code then the animal MUST have a scrapies tag applied.

Do a search on scrapies, tag and Michigan and I'm sure you'll find the information to apply for scrapies tags (I don't have it offhand). The first set of tags are free (more in the first set than most small farms would use in a lifetime) and they usually come pretty quickly.

HOWEVER, if the animals are shown at auction there are several auxtion houses that are requiring a scrapies tag regardless of the rules.

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Hmm, I don't see why they can't assign you a property # so I could just tatto them. I refuse to put tags in my goat's ears, and that is why I asked about the tattooing. o well. they'll just have to live without a tag!
    thanks for your replies!
    ~dona