tatooing

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mary,tx, Sep 8, 2006.

1. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

How easy should it be to see a tatoo in a goat's ear? I tatooed a Nubian back in the spring, and thought I did a good job. I checked it a few weeks later, and could see it, though not as well as I would have hoped. I looked for it today, and couldn't see it at all!

Perhaps y'all know a trick to doing it or seeing it after it's done that I don't know?

Also, since his ownership has remained with me, can I simply try again?

mary

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Usually if you take a flashlight & hold it up behind the ear you will be able to see the tattoo.

3. mary,tx

Thanks, Wendy. I started to say I'll give it a try tomorrow. But he went home with a friend today, so I'll have to wait til he comes home next month.
    mary

4. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I have been told that the longer your can wait to tatoo the better, but know that they get hard to handle as they get older. I use the green paste in my tatooing.It shows up much better on goats with dark skin. I squeeze a little on a toothbrush and brush a little on the neddles that are to be used in tatooing and also brush some of the paste on the area to be tatooed.

5. mary,tx

I did use the green paste, but didn't learn the toothbrush trick until today, helping my friend do a different goat. When I did this one, I rubbed green on his ear, did the tattoo, then rubbed green in again good with my fingers (got it all over me and him!)
    mary

6. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

My nubian doe got tattooed at about 2 months of age, and at 3 years I can just barely make out the green lettering.

7. mary,tx

I also did mine early. I was so pleased because he could (barely) still fit in the kid holding box. :rolleyes:

8. goatedintoit

goatedintoit Truly Gems ADGA Nubians

I haven't done it, but I've heard a tattoe gun like the kind used on humans, makes a better tattoe that is easier to read, shows up better and lasts.

I'm gonna get one on Ebay for next year.

9. valhalladad

valhalladad Active Member

The best I can add. We always used paste and rubbed it in. wear surgical gloves and we cleanned the excess off with the cotton ball and alcohol we used to clean the ears before we tatooed. It may sound cruel but you just about have to go though the ears with the pins. A flashlight behind the ears is about the only way to be sure what they are. If you ever show make sure you check. I saw a prominent breeder and licenced judge disqualified at the state show for bad tatoos.

10. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

I tattooed a young doe and she got Tetanus it was horrible. GET YOUR GOATS A TETANUS VACCINATION BEFORE TATTOOING.

11. mary,tx

Sorry you had to deal with that terrible disease. We did give tetanus antitoxin to the one we tattooed the other day because he had not had his CDT. I probably need to remind my friend to give the CDT, too.
    mary

12. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Dragging out this old thread to ask about the tetanus vaccine.

The kids all got tetanus shots when they were disbudded. Do they need it again with the tattoo?