taters

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by dot, Jan 17, 2004.

1. dot

dot Well-Known Member

When do you plant potatoes in zone 7a? and someone else wanted to know about when to plant in zone 6?

2. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

i've started my potatoes a couple weeks prior to the last frost date. they can tolerate cool conditions. i don't know what your last frost date is but good zone maps should include that information. it seems a little lite freezing back doesn't harm them much, so if you plant a bit too early you're likely not to lose the whole show. then you can plant them further into the season to mature later. i don't know how late cuz i'm used to such a short season we just plant em all in spring. but the suppliers furnish maturity times. you want them fully mature befor frost.

3. Dot, according to the map I'm located right on the 6 and 7 line. So I could go either way. But the last 7 or 8 years I have been planting mine right around the first week of April and I plant them somewhat shallow. Usually in a week I will start seeing some peak through the soil. Last frost in my valley is about the first of May but they are usaually light frost from the first of April to May.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

We live in zone 5 and the early potatoes are planted about 30 days before the last average frost date. I'd think that would work in most zones.. Late potatoes which are the ones you will dig in the fall for storage are planted early in June here.
    A great place for local garden advice, is the old lady down your road with the pretty flowers. She will love to show them to you, and answer lots of your questions that you are bound to have from time to time.

5. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in northcentral Montana, a good indication of when the ground is warm enough to plant potatoes is when the dandelions are blooming in OPEN places -- not in the shelter of a building or whatever.

6. Sq_Ft_Gardener

Sq_Ft_Gardener Member

That's an easy one Dot, 7a: On Saint Paddy's Day...

Might work in zone 6, too, not familiar with their weather.