Tastless Muskmelon

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by kpfox222, Aug 1, 2005.

1. kpfox222

kpfox222 New Member

We planted some muskmelon this year in northwest Indiana. The results were not very good. They did not have the sweet taste that we love so much. They tasted as if there was too much water in them. When I picked them they were the yellowish orange on the outside, and they came right off of the stem. I have raised a few plants before and got quite good tasting muskmelon. I have not had the soil tested for many years, so am wondering if I am having something missing for melons. Everything else in the garden grow beautiful. I have tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, squash, pickels, and raise asparigus, all taste great.
    What could have made the melons taste quite bland?
    Thank you for any replies.

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I don't know if it makes a difference to making melons sweeter, but I know they need a fair amount of calcium. I used to plant them with some crushed eggshells around each plant.
    I once grew the best sweetest Alaska muskmelons and other varieties that year when it was hot and long growing season. I only picked them when they were coming loose off the vine without tugging. That was the 'peak' of ripeness. Don't know what else to suggest.

3. Farm_Girl

Farm_Girl Under the California Sun

I don't have much experience with growing melons, but I do know that with many other fruits and vegetables that have turned out bland it was because they didn't get enough sun, or got too much or too little water (depending on whether it's sour-bland or just watery-bland.)

4. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

To my experience, I would have to say too much water. Also herbs are tasteless if watered too much as it dilutes the natural oils. Since you haven't had the soil tested in a while...I'd start there first....

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

it may have been unripe. i don't pick them (or buy them) until i can smell a strong melon scent.