Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me an idea as to what to look for when buying a taser? Are they all the same?

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I bought one several years ago, and I keep it on my nightstand. I don't remember anymore what company I got it from but I bought one that was 900,000 volts (I think) and uses 2 9-volt batteries. I tried it out on my poor hubby once, "just to make sure it works" and believe me it does. The poor guy was almost sick from the shock....but since he travels so much I needed to make sure it works. And the dog wasn't willing.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
There is a difference between a stun gun and a taser. A stun gun you must touch the person a taser shoots a two prong dart with an attached wire several feet, about ten or so.

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
Stun guns are pretty much worthless as self defense weapons. They will get you KILLED or INJURED

As Explorer stated, you have to be in contact with the person, and thats TOO CLOSE.
They ONLY work on bare skin. Tasers give you one chance to get a good hit, and then youre totally unarmed

Do yourself a favor and buy a 357 revolver and a large size can of the strongest pepper spray you can find

·
Banned
1,627 Posts
Stun guns are pretty much worthless as self defense weapons. They will get you KILLED or INJURED

As Explorer stated, you have to be in contact with the person, and thats TOO CLOSE.
They ONLY work on bare skin. Tasers give you one chance to get a good hit, and then youre totally unarmed

Do yourself a favor and buy a 357 revolver and a large size can of the strongest pepper spray you can find

make sure they are legal in your state

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I agree that you don't want to be up close and personal with an intruder if it can be avoided. But a stun gun (I called it a taser) is only one weapon of many I have in my home. A handgun, certainly, pepper spray, and a few other surprises. Who knows what part of the house I'll be in or if it will be dark or I will be asleep when I need to have some sort of defense.

With small kids in the house, I have to be ready to keep them safe. Discharging a firearm isn't always safe, although that would be my first choice.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I bought one several years ago, and I keep it on my nightstand. I don't remember anymore what company I got it from but I bought one that was 900,000 volts (I think) and uses 2 9-volt batteries. I tried it out on my poor hubby once, "just to make sure it works" and believe me it does. The poor guy was almost sick from the shock....but since he travels so much I needed to make sure it works. And the dog wasn't willing.
what's the matter with you??? couldn't find a enighbor you didn't like?!?!?!:croc:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks.I didn't know there was a difference between a stun gun and taser.I want one that shoots the little wires out. I perfer a gun too but with alittle one underfoot I figure a taser would be better for me.

Oh dear.:D I had lemonade go through my nose.:rotfl: My dh would have ran.:lookout:

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
That's just BADDDDDDDDD!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
He must love me, right? And he's much better behaved ever since....:D
couldn't you have just done like a normal person and hide in the bushes until your neighbor comes out for their morning paper?!?!:icecream:

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Did you at least ask him if you could try it out and get his consent, or did you just sneak up behind him while he was using the john and give him a jolt?

I can see why he travels so much. He's afraid! :)

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
There's pages and pages of documents written on how to avoid being tasered or hit with a stun gun. Most clothing is going to keep the pin from making contact, and the distance and range is just too close for my taste. Plus, you have no guarantees what's going to happen after the charge is exhausted. Some individuals may get right back up off the floor and continue their ill intent.

I prefer my anti-intruder methodology to include lethal force. Except for zapping compliant hubbies, I don't think a taser is a very useful device.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have a stun baton. It's like a stun gun but the business end is at the end of a 2 ft. baton. It also has contacts along the sides in case someone tries to grab the baton. I also have the large can size pepper spray. I like to have these available if I have to deal with kids breaking in or vandalizing. I don't think I could shoot kids.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts