Tart apple variety recommendations

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by longshadowfarms, Mar 18, 2005.

1. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I'm looking through the spring catalogs and rather overwhelmed by the different varieties of apples. If you read the descriptions, you'd think every one was the most delicious apple ever tasted on the face of this earth! Way too many choices and I can't figure out which are remotely close to what I want. I want a tart, juicy apple. Don't know how else to describe it. I love Granny Smith and we have an old tree on our farm that has an awesome flavor but the tree is just barely hanging on - ready to give up the ghost at any time. I usually like Idared when they are a bit on the green side. I know I don't like McIntosh, Delicious or any of the close relatives. I'm leaning toward heritage varieties and varieties that store well. Don't really care if it is dwarf or standard - we've got plenty of room. I'm plenty willing to try 3-4 different varieties. Any suggestions?

2. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Braeburn , tart but way more flavor.Go to www.millernurseries.com
    Canandaigua,N.Y. Best nursery anywhere for price,quality,and cold hardiness.
    I've been almost exclusively bought from them at least twenty years.
    Good luck

3. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I love Granny Smith and we have an old tree on our farm that has an awesome flavor but the tree is just barely hanging on - ready to give up the ghost at any time.

If you like the apples from this tree, why not try to save it by taking some cuttings from it and grafting them onto rootstocks. Or use rooter-pots

www.rooterpots.com

4. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Thanks so far! Keep the ideas coming! We are on the other side of the lake from Miller's. That is the catalog I've been drooling over and since I just got a b-day gift certificate for there, it is doubly attractive. ;) I love that rooter pot idea! DH pulled up a great site that shows pics of how it works:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&cat=2,47236&p=46938

I've got some other places I could really use something like that as well! I already had a wish list from Lee Valley so that sounds like a great addition. Thanks! Now on to peruse the Lee Valley site ;) This is getting to be an expensive dreaming evening. It is still pretty cold here in NY with snow in the forecast this weekend.

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

When I buy apples in the store, I like to eat Russet, Spartan, Cortland for those that aren't too sweet.
    Apples in this area are limited by variety, but the ones that do grow I like Goodland, Parkland. Rescue crab is a smaller apple, but deliciously tart. It could grow profusely for fruit also.

Rich

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

For heritage fairly tart varieties, look at Esopus Spitzenburg (Thomas Jefferson's favorite apple) and Ashmead's Kernal (also a good one for hard cider). Blue Pearmain is on the sweeter side but still has a nice bite to it (and it's just a gorgeous purple-ish color). Gravenstein is always one of my favorites. You won't find these in the grocery stores because they just don't hold for months at a time.

The Ashmead's Kernal is kind of a drab yellow-brown, not much to look at. One bite and you'll be hooked, though.

Fedco is a good source for heritage trees. So is Cummin's Nursery. I've found some gems at Adam's County Nursery as well.

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My favorite apple is the Winesap. Unfortunately, you can't find them at the grocery anymore. I bought one from Stark Bros. catalog last year. Wish the darn thing grew faster...I will be a very old woman before I get to eat any!

8. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Just to make your decision harder, check out the St. Lawrence's apples. They have 153 varieties to choose from :haha: . But the thing I really like about their catalog is they tell you about the variety--sweet/tart, what it is good for (baking, fresh, sauces...), how fast the tree grows, if it matures fast, hardiness....

Check them out, plus they are from NY:

http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/apples.html

If nothing else you might be able to narrow some of the varieties listed above down to one or two or three...

9. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Check out Verson Barnes and son. They have the best prices you will find, and a great rating at garden watchdog. They have been in business since 19--fortysomething. I just got my trees from them, and they look great.

10. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Do you have a website, phone number or anything?

11. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Ditto! Nothin beats a Stayman winesap...........

12. Colleen in WI

Colleen in WI Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Lee Valley website! I just ordered a set of the rooterpots. We have an old apple tree in the yard that we have been babying along. It was hit by lightning a couple years ago and has been on the decline ever since. I just love that tree and have been trying to find out what kind it is to no avail. These pots look like the pefect way to keep my favorite tree around! :D The apples are bigger than the little crabs, but much smaller than regular apples. I thought maybe a Whitney crab, but the local orchard says no. Whatever it is I am glad to have a way to grow a couple more.

13. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

They have no website. Their # is: 931-668-8576