Tarantulas in Missouri?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Corgitails, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I would post a photo for ID, but Indy the Bug Hunting Corgi ate most of the body. Do we HAVE tarantulas in Missouri? This thing was about 3.5" across, hairy, and moved like a tarantula. I didn't think the lived this far north. It was black with some light barring on the body and very hairy.....

am SO glad Indy ate it, but... ew. Spider breath.

C.

2. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

Yep we sure do! I've seen em 6 inches across.

3. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

May have also been a wolf spider. They are hairy, and I've seen em the size of teacups. Body a little less massive than a tarantula.
    If your corgi DID eat a tarantula- I would keep a careful eye on his gut for awhile. Tarantula hair is nasty! They defend themseves by flinging hair off their body at whatever is bothering them- it is akin to fiberglass in your body's reaction - hate to think of a little dog with a gut full of spicules!!

4. Kung

Kung Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Yeah, we got 'em down here in Mountain Home too....not too far from y'all.

5. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

This is the fourth or fifth one he's eaten over the years- he seems to LIKE them. (We got kicked out of a state park in TX once because he ate one in front of a park ranger and you're not supposed to eat the wildlife... I wasNOT sticking my hand in his mouth to rescue it though....)

Yes, my dog is weird. Tell me about it.....

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............I saw a pic of a mexican one , kicking back with a Sombreo and shot glass of Tequila waiting for supper to stumble into his trap. fordy... :goodjob: :)

7. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes we do have them in MO.
    I have an Aunt that lived in a house that had a nest of them under it. Talk about her having fits when she would discover one in the house. She would find several at different times of the year. Those things were huge and would jump. One time she was getting a sheet out of the clothes basket and one of the things was in it. Talk about a scream and fit. WOW!

8. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Around this part of so.Mo we call 'em wolf spiders....must not wanna say the "t"word!! They get huge--had one in my shower and was thinking about moving out but DH came home and saved the day! Hope my corgi Arthur doesn't take up spider hunting...already good at warning us about snakes. DEE