Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Farm lovin wife
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have one other question. :D

I saw a little video on dipping taper candles and it looks really easy and I saw some ideas for little home made dip handles. This is my question though. If you only have a handle for holding the wicks from the top........do you also have to have some sort of weight on the bottom to keep the wicks straight? If so, what? I've heard you can use dowl rods and whatever to hold the candles at the top, but what do you use for the bottom?

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
I tie a hardware nut to the bottom of the wick. That's enough to keep it straight for the first few dips, and then you can cut it off (it gets nasty waxy after dipping a few times ;) ) After the candle is about 1/8" diameter (maybe 4 dips) it should stay nice and straight for you.

·
Farm lovin wife
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wonderful idea! Thanks!

(that's one of those times when I'm left wondering, "Now why didn't I think of that?") LOL

Other than beeswax, is there another kind of wax that is good for tapers?

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
oh yes :) almost any wax will work for dipping. Even tallow (messy and smelly, but it works)

What you need is a wax that will melt at a slower rate than just paraffin. Even paraffin works tho...you just have to adjust your wick size to the wax..OR add stearic acid (stearine) to the wax...that will make it a higher melt wax. It also gives a more opaque wax.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
My set up for dipping is simple....a set of tall metal cylinders (needs to be a couple inches taller than the finished candle size and of a diameter to take 2 candles that are held apart so you don't touch the sides) that I fill with whatever colors I'm using, and for the different sizes. The cylinders are set in a crockpot of hot water that holds the temp at the correct temp for the wax I'm using.

I've used old coffee tins, coffee pots (those electric ones from the 60s work GREAT for non beeswax dipping), all kinds of stuff for dipping.

You'll need a rack of some sort to put your candles over while you dip another set..I use a sort of "coffee mug tree" type thing, and also a dowel that's suspended between 2 tables. The dipped wicks need to cool for just a minute before the next dip so the wax doesn't melt...but not so long that the new wax won't adhere to the cooled wax. SO you need to hang them up somewhere handy where they won't slide or touch anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts