tape worm question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by murphyjamie, Sep 25, 2006.

1. murphyjamie

murphyjamie Well-Known Member

I wormed my herd with cydectin 7 days ago. On day ten I am going to worm again with Cydectin and again on the twentieth day. After that I am going to start fecaling routinely. My question is, If cydectin doesn't kill tapeworms. How do I also worm for the tapes. I am a little concerned because two of my dogs just had tapes so there is a good possibility the goats may have them also. I havent seen any segments, but you never know. Can you give safegaurd for horses along with the cydectin? If so what is the dosage

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

3. murphyjamie

murphyjamie Well-Known Member

4. Karenrbw

Karenrbw Well-Known Member Supporter

We discovered some of our goats were infested with these nasty critters. Most wormers that kill tapeworms are listed as being unsafe in the first trimester of pregnancy. We called the vet and he suggested Quest Plus Horse wormer. We wormed everyone at the recommended rates and it took care of the problem pretty well.

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I don't know about in your area, but in mine (n.e. indiana) the safeguard isn't working anymore so I'ld suspect it might not work in yours. I use Valbazen @{ 1cc per 10 lbs} for my kids, tapeworms are hard on them because they are a single stomached (in use) animal for some while. Adult goats are not usually bothered by the tape worms they carry. there is also an ivomec plus that I think gets tapes as well. If you want to worm your adult does anyhow for tapes as well before breeding is best then rotate those does out to a different pen the next day.
    the dosage for safe guard for tapeworms in goats was if I remember correctly 4 x times the horses dosage for days in a row... was it 3 4 ?? should be on fiasco farms website. like I said though yould probably be wasting your money.