Tape/texture or wallpaper?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cyngbaeld, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I have a mobile home (2001 model) that has the wallboard panels covered with the wallpaper look-a-like stuff and the tiny trim pieces over the seams. Don't like the trim pieces at all. It all needs redoing. Given the fact that I never seem to stay in one spot too terribly long and may end up reselling the place at some point, what would you do? Tape/texture/paint or put on new wallpaper and ditch the trim pieces? Wallpaper is definitely easier, done it a lot, and not as messy, but would the tape/texture route add to the resell value enough to make it worthwhile?

2. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Why would it have to be either/or - mix it up. You can create some great effects combining painted and papered surfaces. And being a mobile, you can add an illusion of space by doing things like wainscoats with the right patterns and trim.

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Do whatever is cheapest, easiest, and makes it look pretty. Buyers just want it to look good so they can move right in. As long as you keep it reasonably neutral, you'll be fine.

IMO, of course. :)

Pony!

4. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

I have a moible and used wallpaper bought 45 rolls on sale for 25 cents each several colors made sure none had patterns when putting up had to matchup cut them in strips overlapped them like the brown paperbag techunge spelling not good let dry then clearcoat them with sealant,did one wall with brownpaperbags looks like leather,you can do this with wallpaper,did a big dresser the same way go to diy.com or hgtv.com get some more info search brownpaperbag good luck,paula

5. ann

ann Well-Known Member

When you take off the trim pieces, there will be gaps. Big ones. So you'll have to fill them. I used spackle and it's done well. Been up a year. Of course I got distracted and it still isn't painted, but one day. maybe

6. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

I second Bill in Oh. Unless you can do a super good job on the tape & texture, don't. An unprofessional job is a real turn-off to prospective buyers.

7. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

does the way it is now look bad, grimy, worn etc? it is only five years old...since you asked, if it was okay I would do nothing. If you are going to sell it I would clean it,someone else might just love it the way you got it. Of course i also realize that we get attacks where we just have to redo and get creative. (been there, done that) in that case I would look around first, check out see if Lowe's etc has some paper on sale. (I got several rolls last fall for 50 cents. it was washable so I stocked up to use as shelfliner). also check out the paint situation. the materials on hand would influence my decision, and the cost, most definitely. Whichever you decide, good luck, and have fun doing it.

8. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

i am remodeling my place, I have pulled off those pieces that covered the seams, kilz everything and then texturized with joint compound.then paint. The rooms dont look like mobile home rooms anymore, very classy and didnt cost much

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It isn't extremely grimey just in spots and was not cared for. It was a repo and the dealer pulled out the old carpet but didn't replace it and I got a discount because the refurbish hadn't been done. But I can't be around latex paint or most oil paints or new carpet. Some of the walls had been painted and the paint is peeling and there are pencil and crayon marks all over some walls. Definitely needs help!

I am not a pro at tape/texture. I've done enough to know I don't like doing it. Do like to hang wallpaper tho, so guess that is what I will do. Thanks for the encouragement and the ideas.