Tanner Needed

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by GuineasRule, Oct 21, 2006.

1. GuineasRule

GuineasRule Well-Known Member

Hi Eveyrone I need a tanner to tan a Scotish Highlander hide. Anyone out there? I am in VT

2. lilsassafrass

lilsassafrass Well-Known Member

I take my hides to the local taxidermist , he preps them and then sends them out to the tannery in california ( I raise highlands ) that tannery specializes in exotics besides all other hides .. they do a fabulous job
    keep in mind no matter where you send it its not going to be cheap most tanneries charge by the sq inch .. thats tip of nose(if you include the face ) to tip of tail and end of leg to end of leg . forming a rectangle .. so you will be paying for all that empty space as well .. you need to make a desicion if you want your taxidermist to trim your hide before he sends it i usually have mine evened out around end of the neck , remove the tail and shorten the legs to look nice cuts the cost , even then a hide from a finished steer can run you between 800 to 1200 dollars depending on his size. It also takes about six to eight months for it to be done. I have had 10 done over the years.. kept a few sold the rest basing my price on teh cost .. usually adding anywhere from three to five hundred to the cost.
    If your animal was pretty clean when you sent him in and your taxidermist dosent have to spend much time cleaning out caked on manure it should cost you a bit less... the best hide I have seen finished was from a white 4H steer project . that had been brushed up most everyday of his life .. that hide was truely luxerient !!!

Paula
    HydeParkFarm

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Try Sebring Custom Tanning in Sebring, FL (do a Google search). I know someone who sent a Hereford hide there, although many years ago, and was pleased with the results. I suspect you would have to package in as small of a box as possible and then send it frozen (perhaps salted as well).

Also check with the deer processing plants in your area. They sell hides and may be able to refer to you a buyer who can then refer you to a hide tanner.

I had a nephew in Milwaukee who worked at a tannery for a while. He said you weren't considered to be a veteran if you still had all of your fingers.

4. GuineasRule

GuineasRule Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I will check out the place in FL. I do understnd it will not be cheap but...... Thanks and more ideas. This is not something I want to do myself.