Tankless hot water heater for mobile homes?!?!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Montana Mom, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Montana Mom

Montana Mom Well-Known Member

I recently spent a good chunk of cash on a tankless hot water heater for propane. I ordered it online. I got it here and tried to have it installed only to find that it is not approved for mobile homes. The company said that its electric models are the only ones approved for mobile homes. Can an electric tankless go somewhere in a propane hwh/heat home? I do have electricity.

I'm so frustrated... :( Why couldn't it have said not approved for mobile homes on the box, or on the order page, or something??

2. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Montana Mom,

First, since it was their mistake (obviously insufficient online information for a customer to make a proper and SAFE purchase decision), when you return it for the electric one) make sure they pay for return shipping both ways. Have them mail you a prepaid return label.

That said, the electric one will be easier to install because you won't need to install a fresh air combustion intake vent nor an exhaust vent. No gas piping either. Because you won't need to provide venting, you can install an electic model in locations where you might not be able to install the gas model. You will have to have sufficient excess circuit breaker capacity to handle the new power load and you will have to run a suitable electric wire from the panel to the installation location.

The water plumbing should be the same for both gas and electic models. Just splice it inline.

Hope this helps.

Steve
    p.s. Make sure they pay shipping on the return. That was an egregious oversight on their part. If you have to, get your credit card company involved.

3. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    It depends on if you had a gas or electric water heater to start with in your trailer. If you had a gas one, you should be able to hook it up to your existing gaslines and flue with little problem. If you had an electric one, you will need heavier wiring and a higher amp circuit breaker. You will also notice your eletric bills rise a good amount with the tankless electric ones. If it pulls enough power, your service may need to be upgraded.

I like the tankless gas ones, especially those designed for off-grid installations. They have one propane tankless that requires on electricity and is self-lighting. When you turn the water on, the flow turns a turbine which creates an electric charge on something like a small magneto and lights the burner.

As for the retailer that didn't put enough information online, that is their error and you should be compensated for that through free return shipping of the gas water heater and free shipping to you of an electric replacement.

4. Montana Mom

Montana Mom Well-Known Member

Steve and reluctantpatriot,

Thank you both.

I am trying to find out from the company if there is a local distributor that I can exchange the HWH with...if not I will ask for a free ship exchange.

5. egorIL

egorIL New Member

I also am choosing to install a tankless heater in my mobile home. What is your average cost to run an electric model. I have a tenedancy to not believe the consumer guide sticker on appliances. Thanks.

6. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Get someone else to install it. They will tell you it is your fault because you didnt know the codes...or something like that.