tamworths

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by LindaVistaFarm, Sep 28, 2006.

1. LindaVistaFarm

LindaVistaFarm Well-Known Member

We used to raise Tamworths in my younger days. Great pork. My favorite. Don't know if anyone does anymore. I mss those red pigs.

Johnny

2. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

We raise Tamworths. They are a little hard to find.

3. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

Berks actually came off the ALBC (www.albc-usa.org) list this year - but Tams are still listed as a 'threatened' or 'rare' can't remember which - livestock species.

I raised two feeder Tams last year, and I'm planning on doing it again this winter. Amazing how well they forage for their own food, and I have converted a few 'commerical hog' folks with their taste.

I would say def go for it if you are thinking of raising them again!!!! Esp with the price of even the commercial feeders going up - makes tams and their hardiness (read not stuffing them full of grain) much more attractive ;-) I'm looking to raise them, and possibly work on some Berk crosses with a friend of mine once my human kiddles are bigger!

Andrea
    www.arare-breed.net
    www.faintinggoat.net

4. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

RoyB on here raises Tams. He lives just down the road from me. He's a really nice guy. I need to get ahold of him myself - my tam gilt died a couple months ago. :Bawling:

5. rcornish

rcornish Well-Known Member

Hey there - I have Tamworths currently. Got a few 3 month old boars for sale - also have new litters expected in the next day or two.

I think the Berkshires have come off the list because of the demand for them in Japan. (Kurobuta - 100% Berkshire Hog meat is highly prized in Japan) Some of that has been catching on in places like New York and similar premium prices are being paid to growers which has caused a lot more people to get into Berks than in the past. Been thinking about getting a few myself - not that I am close to NY mind you.

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Someone on barterboard is selling them right now in OK.

7. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

We Raise Tams' as well as Berks, have plenty for sale at present, & more getting ready to hit the ground any day.all are raised on pasture without any chemicals or hormones what so ever.

Rick

8. PlowGirl

PlowGirl Well-Known Member

I also raise and sell Tamworths. I have weanlings for sale on Barterboard.
    Absolutely love the breed, and they cross well with other breeds. Temperaments are excellent and easily one of the best foragers. Make sure you want this trait though. LOL
    They root THOROUGHLY.

9. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

Plowgirl, this is totally why I got them in the first place - I chuckled at your comment! They totally redo wherever they are - luckily, my place has been sitting for years - and there are layers and layers and layers of walnuts, hickory nuts etc - was great because they were low input - feed bill wise.

However! When they would escape (my sow could jump the hog panels) I had a few new gardens tilled for me - not exactly where planned ;-) Think GIANT mole...

If anyone wants some pictures of Tam destruction, lemme know I can post 'em ;-)

Andrea

10. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that won't be necessary for me. :rolleyes:

11. piglady

piglady Well-Known Member

I don't know about tamworths but we raise Large Black Hogs and love them. They don't root up the pasture the way you described the Tams but they do forage. They are a true grazing pig with excellent marbled meat and extremely docile temperments. Check out www.largeblackhogs.com for more information.

12. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Bring Them On!..HUHOGG!
    :)

13. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Good WebSite! Very Well Done.

14. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

15. matt090303

matt090303 Member

THose Blacks look like good hogs, but are way to costly for my financial abilities. Will stick with Tams, if I can find some close to s.e. colo. Thanks for all the replies, right friendly bunch on this chat. nice to see!

16. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Amazing they say they are commited to saving the breed from extinction and yet they only sell weaned 20lb pigs for $350 unbelievable! I guess they only want rich people to have a chance at raising them and saving them.

17. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I think registering them raises the price. A local farmer here gets $95 for certified organic piglets (Tams), and another farmer quoted me a price of $150 registered.

18. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

If 350 makes a person rich, count me as rich.

I'd pay it happily for quality registered stock and I won't mind being on the selling end of 350 each either. If the market is there.....

19. Paul O

Paul O Well-Known Member

I have to agree that that $350 for a piglet seems astronomical (rich or not). And it does seem contrary to the notion of saving the breed, but I suppose if you pay that kind of money you would probably want to breed them rather than eat them...maybe? :shrug:

Paul

20. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Good point Paul LOLI thought the same thing, still there has to be a better way maybe if they sold them for half that it would still insure that no one would eat them and yet still give lower income homesteaders a chance to help preserve them from extinction? I know I have never paid over $60 for a pig ususally just 10-$20 for a piglet I once bought a giant breed of Chineese pig to cross with my local marshallese heinze 57 pigs that cost me the $60