Tamworths in Virginia?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by QueenB04, Apr 24, 2005.

1. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

I posted a while back about Tamworth's, and my interest in getting one is renewed.
    My hampshire gilt is not conceiving, I'm planning on giving her 3 more months to see if she will take. She has been cycling reguarly, and my boar has mounted several times and achieved a succesful breeding(no conception but you get my point :haha: ) on several occasions, but she has not taken yet. The male we bought with her died suddenly 6 weeks after we bought them, the vet believes he had heart failure due to a defect, although no necropsy was perfmored. He had no outward signs of infection or disease, and litteraly died in his sleep. I'm wondering if this is not a line we should cull, I will give her 3 months and if she does not concieve then piggy is going to be on the table. And depending on the outcome of her first litter if she does concieve will seal her fate as well. She's a large pig, over weight but we've kept her on a strict diet and she still is chuffy, but with the cross of my lean boar I was looking for a good meat pig.

I'm interested a tamworth gilt or sow, as I've been very impressed by the breed thus far. I remember posting sometime back in ref. to Tamworth's and I believe someone close by said they have some but I couldn't fidn the thread, and deleted my PM's sometime ago. If anyone in Virginia, especially close by Central VA have Tamworth's please let me know, thanks!

2. frog1437

frog1437 Well-Known Member

I think you are talking about beeeman97 i beleive he is in roxboro which is on the n.c/ v.a border he had a few listed a week or so ago.I would do a search of his postings. Good luck

3. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

You were right on the money frog ,, i was the one who responded to her request before.
    Thanks
    Rick

4. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

Beeman97,

Hi, thanks for the response I couldn't find the original post from a few months ago. Can you give me more information on your stock? Feel free to PM me! Thanks!
    -Kristen :)