Tamsworths with a straight tail

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by catfishcookin, Jan 2, 2004.

1. catfishcookin

catfishcookin Active Member

Hello! I just traded some meat rabbits for two red Tamsworth pigs about 50-60 pounds each...gilts. I will keep them for sows. They are red with pointed ears like they are supposed to be. However, their long tails are never curled, but always stay straight. They have been wormed, are fed like kings, and frolic all the time. Their tails are always wagging like a happy dog. My neighbor told me the pigs are not well because they don't curl their tails up. He insisted that a healthy pig has a curled tail. I have raised other pigs in the past and acknowledge the curly tail was always there. However, could the straight tails on these two Tamsworths be a breed trait or is the neighbor right?

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

I have herd the same thing about the health and the tail thing.

Don't know what you mean by eating like kings.

Make sure they get plenty of minerals and salt,
    not getting enough could be the problem.
    Minerals are very important to growth.

You can by this premixed for hogs at feed store.

Make sure that you are meeting their protien requirements,
    for there size, and weight.

Protein requirements should be around:

18% Protein from birth to 40lbs.

16% protein from 40lbs. to 120lbs.

13% protein from 120lbs. to their finish weight.

3. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

Grandma raised Yorkies and Hamps, and an occasional duroc, and every so often youd see a straight tail. I think its just a gentic thing that pops up every so often. IM not talking droppy I dont feel good tail, IM talking a tail that just doest curl up like what we consider normal LOL... Heck alot of people cut the tails of their pigs so who knows how many actually have curlers...

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Tie a knot in their tail. It won't help the pigs, but should make your skeptics happy.

5. farmy

farmy Well-Known Member

Our pigs' tails seem to straighten out when they're cold.

6. catfishcookin

catfishcookin Active Member

I appreciate your answers! When the neighbor comes over, he is the "know it all" and I believe my pigs are healthy. In fact, he has NEVER raised a single hog! Yet, he is gonna tell me what to do with my pigs. I've raised a total of 116 hogs over the last several years and I never gave any attention to their tails until now when he came over and went on and on and on about my straight tailed girls. I am just going to ignore him.