Tall hoophouse?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by caryatid, Jan 9, 2005.

1. caryatid

caryatid Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!
    I'm new to this section of the board. (I usually hang out with the chickens)

I have a question about the hoop-green-house. All the plans I"ve seen are for a house that is 6 feet tall. I know that by making it a little more narrow at the bottom, I could get a few more inches at the top (in theory)- My question is, would that make the whole thing unstable?

The problem is, my hubby is 6'3".

I've never had a greenhouse before, and since the hoophouse looks easy to build, and inexpensive, I figured I could start off with one of those, and expand later.

Thanks!
    Dana

2. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

If you built a 2' wide 1' high raised bed around the perimeter you could set the hoop house on top of this and gain a foot. Make it wider you could even plant in it depending on how you want your greenhouse set-up.

3. caryatid

PERFECT!!
    I was rather tired last night and not thinking straight. :)

What I really want to create is a greenhouse where I could remove the cover eventually and just turn it into one big grape arbor/patio area. Do you tihnk this would work? (For some reason I coulnd't articulate this last night)

Thanks!

4. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

caryatid,

You can also lower the middle of the ground under the hoop. Either way, raising the base of the hoop or lower the ground are much better solutions than moving the bottoms closer together. You will be straining your frames by doing that.

We are actually on track to doing a double hoop. We have our beds laid out in parallel roughly 24 feet long. Each bed is 4 feet wide. The center walkway is about 10 inches lower than the top of the raised bed. Once the last bed is done I plan on adding in some gravel to the center walkway to reduce muddiness. The end pieces go all the way across. We have the u clamps for the hoops mounted to the wood surrounding the raised beds.

________ ________
    |_______| |_______|
    |__________________|
    |_________|________|

Sorry if this doesn't format right on everyones computer.

I'm now almost to the point where I will do a larger hoop over two beds but still keep the smaller hoops over each bed. We also have floating row covers. It's amazing how much you can extend your season passively. The door would be on the right hand side (east) which is away from the prevailing winds and is closest to the house.

If you notice that the upper beds have a gap between them in the middle. When I eventually do the larger hoop, That area is where I plan on placing a kerosene heater (I have two of those round cylindrical ones) if we find it makes sense to extend our growing season even more.

Hope this helps.

Mike

5. caryatid

Thank you, this helps a lot!

(any more suggestions from the peanut gallery? Keep 'em coming!)

I have a ton of wood out back, so building the raised beds will be very cheap. I'll probably be doing most of it myself- with a little help with heavy lifting from hubby. He is still suffering my jabs from the fiasco with our first chicken coop. (Note to self: when two people are working on a project, make sure you are going off of the same designs!)

This time, I'm going to draw everything out before I begin- so collecting ideas and tips is great!

*heh* We are probably going to have one of the only wood stove heated greenhouse in town! A friend of ours has two sitting in his garage we can use. (One for the house, one for the greenhouse!)

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

7. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

8. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

9. caryatid

No, I haven't. :) Thanks!.I'll check it out more closely after I get kids to sleep.

10. caryatid

Darnit...I thought I had it all figured out, and here you go giving me completely different ideas! I really like the look of that top one. I like the idea of a removable cover- I'm in New Mexico, so that looks very practical.

I might just have to show both types to Hubby, and see what he thinks. He's a city boy and won't be using it, but I'd like to get his opinoin on it anyway. :)