Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
4,089 Posts
moved here 15 years ago, said i would give it one year. well, maybe another, and one more, and....we just built a nice house, don't plan to leave. lots of good quiet places to live, lots of ppl who are like us. i don't live anywheres near SF or rapid city, but go there on occasion. too crowded for me to live near it but its wonderful to go for a day.

i wouldn't know where else to live now.

· Premium Member
4,089 Posts
haha, oh yeah, wind! where i grew up in iowa, if it were as windy as most days it is here, we'd just not ride horses. 'just too windy'. (horses can show some stupid spookiness in the wind). but here, if i did that, i may as well sell out. i've learned to like it--wind means less bugs.

haha, erin has it so right! west river/east river, its like 2 different countries! we're proudly west river, but are very close to it, and thoroughly enjoy riding down to the river.

i make a good earning from hunting industry....working at lodges in the fall, and now this summer when they rent it out for family reunions, graduations, etc. i also paint murals on their walls, which all works out super, its not a full time job, but pays as well as the average job in town, and i have my own hours.

erin is right that its not a state with big educated type jobs available. with only my HS education, my job opportunities are slim at best, paying low wages and long hours. we came for the job of ranching my husband wanted to do, and stayed because of the laid back, mind your own business kinda attitude. western, cowboy, ranches, horses, ice cream socials, all that is normal here. and if i get the urge or simply HAVE to use the cities, they are there within a day's drive and home again, but i sure do not wish to stay too close to SF esp.

in this type area, as i am sure many here are used to, the internet and shipping companies are your friends. there are adjustments, but going back to where i was, which was considered 'in the country' in iowa, would stress me out terribly!!!

1 - 2 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.