Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH has a job possibility in Sioux Falls. We have never been to SD, nor do we know much about it. Anyone care to educate us?

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
There are four presidents always looking down their noses at the events in Sturgis.

Wall Drug Store. Corn Palace. The mighty Indian returning for eternity. Cold.

Sorry, never been there either so can offer no real information.

·
plains of Colorado
4,176 Posts
Never been to Sioux Falls but we LOVE to vacation in SD. Just last yr we went to Yankton, Mitchell, DeSmet, Deadwood... and we had a great time. It's the west so it will be different from where you are. You will probably have to water.

·
Family Jersey Dairy
4,772 Posts
My Great Grandfather homesteaded there in the 1880`s , and got there to late to get the good ground and went broke. Other than that, never been there. > Thanks Marc

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
We live 40 miles south of Sioux Falls. It's a small city with the basic chain stores and resteraunts. Would you be looking to live in the city or on an acreage? We moved to South Dakota from Minneapolis 4 years ago. It was quite a culture shock. It's a perfect place to live if you are looking for isolation. It's also good for raising kids from what I'm told. Housing is dirt cheap and you can get a lot for your money. We are on 10 acre farm with several outbuildings in a 2500 sq ft home and the listing price was $160,000.
The people we have met are awesome! Very friendly..just be prepared for lots of chit chat. We love it here. Last winter was brutal though and I almost felt like moving because of it. From what I hear it was the worst in over 10 years.
Windy in Kansas is talking about tourist stuff that is located to the far west of the state and is about a 6 hour drive away. Around here is farm land. Corn and bean fields as far as you can see. It's almost always sunny here. but it does get windy. It's super hot and humid in the summer but the fall and spring are long and nice. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions :)

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I did some Air Force duty in Belle Fourche, in the late 80's. That winter had some static temps around minus 45 degrees. Seemed like a nice area and I liked the Black Hills.

They don't call it the great plains for nothing. ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
The western part of the state is beautiful. There is some pretty areas north and west of Souix falls-I think they call it the pot holes (??)- a lot of small ponds/lakes that attract a lot of wildlife.
Big skies, dramatic storms.
I remember driving through heading east from Montana one time and I swear everybody I passed going west waved at me.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I live about 10 miles from SF and we love it here. People are friendly. The crime rate is pretty low, and SF is growing all of the time. There are a few communities around SF that are really blooming. We have the basic stores, Target, Walmart, Shopko, Sams, JCPenneys, HyVee, and so on. A friend of mine that moved here about 7 years ago from Minneapolis misses more shopping choices such as Whole Foods. Education is good overall, but depends on where you plan to locate.
Let me know what else you are curious about and I may be able to help

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I live in NW Iowa, about 50 miles from Sioux Falls. We travel up there quite often, and love it. It is a very progressive and clean city. It has a lot of cultural events, museums, and is still agriculturally rooted. The people in this part of the country are great! Very family oriented, conscientious, and kind.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Hubby's home farm is north of SFalls. I have been there 3 times; twice at Christmas, and once in October. It always snows to welcome me.

It is COLD! It's got plenty of elbow room, and is beautiful, but more than a TN girl wants in the winter!

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
moved here 15 years ago, said i would give it one year. well, maybe another, and one more, and....we just built a nice house, don't plan to leave. lots of good quiet places to live, lots of ppl who are like us. i don't live anywheres near SF or rapid city, but go there on occasion. too crowded for me to live near it but its wonderful to go for a day.

i wouldn't know where else to live now.

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
I'm with Chewie, both Rapid and SF have WAY more people than I could stand on a regular basis.
When we lived in South Dakota, we stayed West River, thank-you, and well away from the Hills. lol

South Dakota is very much an ag.dominated state. Generally speaking, they farm East River and ranch West River. And that river divides the state philosophically, too.

The two "big cities" in the state are SF and Rapid. But Rapid to the west is half the size of SF. Rapid is very much a western city. SF, on the other hand, is a midwestern city.

It's an extremely conservative state, relatively uneducated and people tend to live longer and happier than elsewhere. You probably won't see it as much in SF, but people tend to be very welcoming, fiercely independent (unless of course you're talking subsidy payments! lol In which case-- sign us up!!), and believe that neighbor is a verb.
SF will get hot and humid in the summer and frigidly cold in the winter (though it's not quite Fargo) and this last winter was as bad as the one Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote about in The Long Winter. ;) Fortunately, we now live in a day of V-plows, telephones and helicopters.

We lived a number of years in the Dakotas when our kids were small until DH's job brought him home to Nebraska.
It was heart breaking to leave.

·
Premium Member
16,078 Posts
Is it windy most of the time in SD?

I've heard some good things about the state. One time I sent an email to the state and said I was considering moving my fish farm there. They actually assigned someone to find me property! That made an impression on me after living in a state where the MN DNR is openly hostile towards private fish farmers.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
haha, oh yeah, wind! where i grew up in iowa, if it were as windy as most days it is here, we'd just not ride horses. 'just too windy'. (horses can show some stupid spookiness in the wind). but here, if i did that, i may as well sell out. i've learned to like it--wind means less bugs.

haha, erin has it so right! west river/east river, its like 2 different countries! we're proudly west river, but are very close to it, and thoroughly enjoy riding down to the river.

i make a good earning from hunting industry....working at lodges in the fall, and now this summer when they rent it out for family reunions, graduations, etc. i also paint murals on their walls, which all works out super, its not a full time job, but pays as well as the average job in town, and i have my own hours.

erin is right that its not a state with big educated type jobs available. with only my HS education, my job opportunities are slim at best, paying low wages and long hours. we came for the job of ranching my husband wanted to do, and stayed because of the laid back, mind your own business kinda attitude. western, cowboy, ranches, horses, ice cream socials, all that is normal here. and if i get the urge or simply HAVE to use the cities, they are there within a day's drive and home again, but i sure do not wish to stay too close to SF esp.

in this type area, as i am sure many here are used to, the internet and shipping companies are your friends. there are adjustments, but going back to where i was, which was considered 'in the country' in iowa, would stress me out terribly!!!

·
8,598 Posts
I would also point out that "windy" also applies to North Dakota, western Nebraska and Kansas, eastern CO, and WY, etc. Basically the "high plains" areas are windy.

·
Unapologetically me
21,340 Posts
I would also point out that "windy" also applies to North Dakota, western Nebraska and Kansas, eastern CO, and WY, etc. Basically the "high plains" areas are windy.
You ain't kiddin'.
The other day I saw a chicken lay the same egg twice.

·
8,598 Posts
I put my Metro in "Neutral" today and just sailed home from town. ;)

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
haha, oh yeah, wind! where i grew up in iowa, if it were as windy as most days it is here, we'd just not ride horses. 'just too windy'. (horses can show some stupid spookiness in the wind). but here, if i did that, i may as well sell out. i've learned to like it--wind means less bugs.

and if i get the urge or simply HAVE to use the cities, they are there within a day's drive and home again, but i sure do not wish to stay too close to SF esp.

in this type area, as i am sure many here are used to, the internet and shipping companies are your friends.
Oh yes can I relate to these statements. I really had to psych myself out to "embrace the wind"! We can not use wind as an excuse not to ride or we never would lol! One of the six times I was not able to get out because of snow this past winter was because of the wind blowing the snow. It wasn't snowing but the wind blew the snow already on the ground enough to make travel impossible. I also HATE going to Sioux Falls. I avoid it like the plague. I'm east of the river between Sioux Falls and Sioux City. I shop on line or make my hubby go with a list. Sometimes we break down and go to Wally World in Vermillion or Sioux Center.
We do LOVE it here...even though hubby can't find a job. We really want to stay. People are few and the ones I do run across are just a pleasure. It is very laid back and I like that. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts