Homesteading Forum banner

Talk to me about Nigerians

512 Views 13 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  CaliannG
DH and I took a trip down to a petting mini farm this weekend. They had the most adorable Nigerians! Of course the moment they ran up to us, I heard it. You know, that's special **POP** noise that goes off when someone falls in fur baby love. I'm proud to say it wasn't me this time... it was DH. Luckily we didn't know they were for sale until we got home.

We currently have pygmies so goats aren't completely new to us. But I know NOTHING about Nigerians. Other than they are cute as all get out. The ones we visited are super friendly. Kept following us. Yeah, I may have tripped into "sucker" land too at that point. :gaptooth:

So all you Nigerian lovers, fill my heard with your knowledge about these little cuties. I know this particular place is asking $350 for females, not registered. If we want them registers they would be $500 each. :teehee:
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
I have had Nigie's for about 5 years. I am in love! They make the most wonderful pets, and you can milk them!

I think that $350 for an unregistered doe is way, way too much.
I just started in Nigerians 2 years ago and I love them! Their milk is exquisite and they're easy to handle and care for. Plus you can have more in less space!
They're a fantastic breed.
I agree, $350. for unregistered is wayyy too much. I can fix you up much cheaper!! ;) We had 16 kids this year - so far. One more doe due next month!
I've had Nigerians for three years now and are very happy with them. If you already have pygmy's then you know the benefits to having smaller goats.

If you plan to milk them, then make sure you are getting them from folks that actually milk and can tell you what they (and/or their dams) are milking. "Nice capacity" doesn't tell you anything without the numbers.

$350 for an unregistered doe is a very high price! Around here a bred doe might go for that much IF they have a top notch pedigree and are bred to a top-notch buck. (I paid that much for one a couple of months ago - but she miked @ 4#'s a day on once a day milking as a FF.) I sell my registered adult does for $250 and registered doelings up to a year of age for $200.
As others have stated, that is WAY to much for an unregistered doe. I would expect to pay that for a decent registered doe, but anywhere from $100-$175 for an unregistered doe.
DH and I took a trip down to a petting mini farm this weekend. They had the most adorable Nigerians! Of course the moment they ran up to us, I heard it. You know, that's special **POP** noise that goes off when someone falls in fur baby love. I'm proud to say it wasn't me this time... it was DH. Luckily we didn't know they were for sale until we got home.

We currently have pygmies so goats aren't completely new to us. But I know NOTHING about Nigerians. Other than they are cute as all get out. The ones we visited are super friendly. Kept following us. Yeah, I may have tripped into "sucker" land too at that point. :gaptooth:

So all you Nigerian lovers, fill my heard with your knowledge about these little cuties. I know this particular place is asking $350 for females, not registered. If we want them registers they would be $500 each. :teehee:
Wooahaa Those prices are top-quality show and heavy milkers' prices. How far are you from Athens GA. I know a couple of tested, show ND herds there. My ND came from there and are wonderful. PM me if you'd like contact info.
I too Love our Nigerians, very friendly, Lovable little pet's. We don't milk ours but that's becuase I don't want too.

I agree with the others though, I would NEVER pay $350.00 for an unregistered doe!
A couple of the things I like most about my Nigerians -

They are NOT seasonal breeders. Does come into heat every 21 - 28 days, even in the northern latitudes. Most dairy breeds only come into season in the fall (at least in the north). This means you can stagger your breedings throughout the year and have year-round milk without milking any particular doe for too long.

Small size makes them easy to handle. I am a little chick at 5'6" and 130 lbs and I can pick up my big does and put them in the bed of a pickup (I'm pretty strong, though ;) ) NDs will fit in a dog crate, so transportation is easy.

ND bucks aren't as stinky! Because NDs don't have a specific breeding season, the bucks don't have as heavy of a rut period. They get a bit stinkier in the fall, but not as bad as some other breeds... that is just my opinion, though... and I have a pretty good sense of smell ;)
I paid $100 for a reg. and tested buck with nice show lines and good milking lines, so $350 for an unregistered doe is CRAZY! Don't do that. I'm sure someone here is close enough to you to sell you nice goats for a fair price.

I don't think there is anything you need to know about Nigerians that you wouldn't already know by having Pygmy goats. I have both, and I also have Kinders and Nubians. . .now the Nubians are a whole other story.
I fell in love with them after visiting Castle Rock Farm here in California (I bred my Saanen doe to a Nigerian buck for mini-Saanens). Their registered does go from $375-500 if they are show quality.

Then, I accidentally (heh) acquired two registered polled Nigerians I saw on Craigslist. I only paid $200 for the pair. The doe is dam-raised so she's a little wild, but I am able to milk her and WOW, that is good milk! The buck is sweet as pie, and right now he doesn't stink at all. I can even pet him and don't have to take a shower afterward. :)

At 40-50 pounds, you can pick them up, put them in a dog crate, and transport in the back of your car. I love that!
What part of TN are you in? I live near Gatlinburg. If I knew where you lived, I could help you find breeders.

There are different 'types' (Body style) of Nigerians- there are those that have been bred to produce milk and are very like the full sized dairy breeds in appearance and ability to milk, albeit in lesser quantities.

And there are those that are more 'pet quality' with shorter legs, bodies and udders that are not as easy to milk.

So, you need to decide what you are buying them for- and do you want papers or not. Do you want pets or not. Milkers? How much milk?

IMHO> a little wether kid should not cost you more than $50. Papers or not, bloodlines or not. A non-breeding goat is only a pet and a pet price should not be a couple hundred dollars!

That said, a purebred, non-registered doe kid should be around $60-$100. And a purebred non-registered buck kid $50-$75. Many times you can find little bucks to be wethered for $35. $35 is much more in the zone.

Expect to pay $200-$300 for a purebred registered dairy type doe who is 1)a kid or dry yearling, 2)a non-show quality milker. A show quality doe will be upwards from there. And less for a pet quality doe- $150-$200.

If you plan to milk and sell babies, make sure you get all the usual testing done and such. IMHO> going to the breeder and getting hands on the goats is much better than just buying from a picture.
See less See more
Wanda Clark has some of the best dairy ND's in the region, IMHO>
http://www.angelfire.com/ga4/doublegate

Some are available now.
Y'all are so awesome. Thanks for once again coming to my rescue. We've decided (for now at least) to hold off on increasing the herd until we save up for the dream mini farm. Two years from now is our goal. Fingers crossed! :bouncy:

Once we get to that place, I'll be picking your brains for good connections!
If you are accustomed to having Pygmies, then Nigerians will be easy for you. You'll just have to get used to milking.

That's because they are, basically, the same breed.

African tribes people don't get caught up in breeds and pedigrees as we do. They simply had herds of goats. They milked them, they ate them, they did their best to protect them from wandering cheetahs.

When the breed was imported into the U.S., we got involved with our ideas of what is "proper" for each purpose....so we divided them up. The stouter, "cobby" looking ones we called "Pygmy" goats, and the thinner backed ones that looked more like what we we consider a dairy goat we called "Nigerian" goats.

But genetically, they are the same breed.

Some decades (not centuries, like we are accustomed to seeing) have been spent in trying to specialize them more, but you still come across cobby Nigerians and some Pygmies that make good milkers.

I agree, though, $500 is WAY to much to spend on one, unless it already HAS championship points under its belt.
See less See more
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.