Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.
So, I now have a supply of Jersey milk. Lucky me. But ssshhhhhh.
DH is wigging out. Lightly, but wigging. Saying I have to pasturize it.
Now, I have been slugging raw goat milk whenever I get the chance for years with no problem. I do not want to pasturize my Jersey milk.
And I want to be able to make butter.
- What type of container do I keep the milk in to make skimming it the easiest? A wide mouth jar?
-I am going to happily assume the butter will not kill me.. I have been eating fresh churned butter whenever I could get it from the Amish store for ages.
-Would it help if I were to put marbles or something in the jar while I roll it around to churn until I can get a better churn or should I just roll it in the jar?
-Thoughts on the whole pasturization thing?
If I have to (to keep the peace) I will pasturize it after I make the butter:)

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Welcome chickenista to the dark (well, more creamy white than dark) world of raw jersey milk! Ha ha ha...

My DH was the same way when he first saw the stuff. Go ahead and pasturize some of it for him, for a while....it keeps the peace and soon he will get used to it. Once he has had it for a while, and gets used to shaking the jar each time he pours it, etc...he will try the RAW and find it to be superior. Baby steps on this pay off.

My DH wouldn't touch raw milk for about the first month. Then I made some whipped cream for a peach pie...served everyone but didn't put any WC on his...I told him why. That was the day he informed me that "whipping it probably killed any bad germs that were in it"...LOL. Dont forget that sweet temptation works well on male folks! Now you should hear him extolling the virtues of it. You would think the whole thing was HIS idea.

I put my milk into gallon jars, always glass, to make it really easy to skim with a nice ladle. I can't help you with butter-making advice, though someone here will be able to. I have made it before in the blender, but I would rather make sourcream or creamcheese with my cream, for now. Plus, I like to drink coffee w/ cream...mmm.

My Farmer Boss wants me to make him some butter eventually though, so I too will have to master it one day.

Welcome to the world of dairy products. Your family will come around in time.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
My dh was like that too, it was the cream that rose..and the feed they were giving her at the dairy that grossed him out. After we had him taste it, after she had been eating our stuff for a few weeks, he was ok.
It was hard for me to see that much cream on there too at first. My solution is to keep "drinking " milk in glass quart jars, then they can shake shake shake till all cream is gone easily. Now they are more than happy to drink it. I refill the jars and on we go.
I make butter and they seemed fine with it too. I was really surprised my dh came around..he was dead set against it. I guess being out of "store bought" milk helped too. LOL

·
Banned
486 Posts
Me, My wife and 9 kids drank raw milk for thirty years till the goverment stuck their nose in. As long as your clean and cool it right away I wouldn't worry about it. And I can say that sickness of any kind is still rare in the family.

we used wide mouth galllon jars and a baster to take the cream off the top.
then churn it. We just let the kids shake it :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
We drink raw milk all of the time. I bought a plastic canister for my vacuum sealer machine and it keeps the milk fresh for a long time. I also make my own kefir, whey etc where the milk sits out for a few days on the counter at room temp. It never spoils and makes great kefir. If your hubby insists on having it heated( pasturized) then I would have some set aside for that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've been drinking raw Jersey milk since we moved out here to the farm; it's absolutely to die for. I'll never drink the chalk water that's in the stores again...

DH didn't care about it not being pasteurized, but my mother was icked out about it. Surprising, since she and my dad came from the era where my dad still plowed the fields with mules.

It's so good that I'm going to have my own cows at some point this year. Have to get a pasture fixed for them where the horses won't bug them too much first, then my Jersey girls will get to roam around, moo, and make some good milk...

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I had to buy pasteurized milk for my DD13 because she refused to drink the milk raw. As soon as the 1/2 gal from the store was gone I washed it out real well and poured raw milk in it. I kept it mixed up good so she wouldn't see any cream on top. I refilled the container three times before she caught me putting the raw stuff in there.

She laughed and told me she figured I was doing something because the milk tasted so much better than before.

My DH quietly drank the milk, not wanting to upset me, but thinking it was sort of gross. I have to put his in a Sun Tea jar because he only likes skimmed milk. He takes it from the spout at the bottom and the cream stays at the top. Works pretty good too! He quickly became a convert and likes it now.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
raw was never even an issue here, cept when my mom/dad come for visit, ewww, you're feeding them raw goat milk?? yup! we did have raw cow milk tho when i was a kid, from a neighbor, til the 'law saved us' :rolleyes:

now, for butter--just let it rise, skim off with a soup ladle and shake the dickens out of it in a mayo jar. or, easy way out--use the blender. i could go off and do other things but could actually hear when that butter made the motor wind harder! hark! is that butter i hear? yes it is!! rinse it VERY WELL in very cold water, i mushed it around some while doing that. then add some salt. MMMM. dont' forget to make bread that day too, and you got supper!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts