Talk me into keeping my goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Meg Z, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Practically speaking, I should sell my goats.

Last year, I had to make some decisions about the goats when my husband got orders to go back to Afganistan. So, regretfully, I cut the herd down to four, then to two girls.

Neither my husband (when he's here) nor I are big milk drinkers. I do use the milk to cook with, and I make and sell some soap. Mostly, though, the milk is a waste of my time. I have to go collect it, strain it, etc...and most of it goes to the chickens!

If I could make cheese, it would be worth it, but I've tried and tried and tried. I made a passable chevre once. That's it. And I have no one to teach me what I'm doing wrong.

I can't sell the milk without jumping through all the legal hoops we have in our state.

I got sheep this spring, and they have just as much brush-eating capacity, plus personality, so those niches are filled. Plus, I could milk them for the soap, if I wanted to.

So, someone tell me, why should I keep Tish and Truly? Other than the fact that they're really sweet lap goats, what purpose are they serving aside from giving me more work and expense?

I need help, here.
    Meg

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

No help from me, I'm afraid, as I think sheep beat goats any day, lol! :rolleyes: Come on over to the wooly side, my friend!

3. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

This is what I do when faced with this kind of decision.
    Imagine as hard as you can, what it would be like without them there.
    Do you feel a hole in your heart? If you do, then I say keep them. If you don't think you'll miss them THAT much, then I say sell them.

It's a tough one, I don't envy you that.
    Hope everything works out! :)

4. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

If you feel you need someone to "talk" you into keeping them... the answer is pretty clear that they need to go to a better/different home...

5. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you like ricotta or cottage cheese? You can make a simple cheese by heating the milk to 180F and stirring in 1/4 cup of lemon juice or vinegar. Leave it sit for 1/2 hour and strain the whey out with cheese cloth. You can then press it for firmer cheese or just use it as it is. I guess the decision as to keep or sell the goats depends on how much you like the girls. My goaties are a part of the family and I prefer goats to sheep. Yeah, it costs money to have animals, but even the cats and dogs cost money for food, medicine and grooming. You just have to decide how much the goats mean to you.

6. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

Sheep have more personality than goats????? I have both, the sheep are dullards compared to0 the goats. Sheep may be more placid, goats are definitely more intelligent, that's why they can be such pains!

7. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

I'd say the fact that you posted HERE instead of on the barter page speaks for itself. My dad came to me a 5 years ago and asked me if it would be okay for him to spend HIS money on a race car (something he did when he was young and stopped when he "settled down") I told him that it was none of my business, that it was HIS money and if it makes him HAPPY to do it, than he ought to do whatever it is that makes him happy. He got the car. He sank 30,000 in a car (HIS MONEY) I cant sell for 6,000, BUT he was SO HAPPY. Good thing too cause 2 years ago he died of colan cancer. Makes me happy that he was happy his last couple of years.

SO if it MAKES YOU HAPPY to keep them, than DO IT. If they are annoying you, and stressing you out, than sell them!!!

Good Luck!!!

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Well, I did ask to be talked into it, didn't I?

We are trying so hard to make everything on this small place pull it's own weight. Everything must support itself, at a minimum.

What we failed to look at was that some things pay for their keep differently than others. No, we don't use enough milk to justify keeping two goats. But, they do make me happy.

The poultry pays for itself. The rabbits do, too. The sheep will easily. I think the goats are just going to get to pay in another coin.

Besides, when someone said they needed to go to a 'better' home...it made me realize...there isn't one.

So, Tish and Truly are going to leave the ranks of 'livestock' and join the few 'pets' we have. They join Pogo, the macaw, and the snakes in my sons room. But they still have to live outside! All I needed to change was the way I look at them!

Thanks for pointing that out. I think that's what I really was hoping for. Permission.
    Meg

9. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

You could just stop milking them:)

10. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I think you need a couple of children to drink the milk....fostercare?? :shrug:

My children love the chevre cheese...I mix garlic pepper into mine after it drains...it can be frzn too for lasanga....I make burrito pie with it too....
    I canned a bunch of it as well for chickens in winter....

A sucker calf would clean up milk too or a piggy!

11. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Ack!!! I would not inflict me on an unsuspecting child!

If I could make cheese...any cheese, it would be a moot point. But I always fail. I sit it out, and mix all the 'supposed to' things in it, andn pour it into cheese cloth, and it runs away down the drain. And no, it's not the grocery stor echeesecloth, it's the real, expensive, cheese cloth. It never thickened up but once, and then it took two days to drain out. My husband loves cheese! He eats large quantities of the stuff, all types. If I could make cheese for him, these girls would be worth their weight in gold!

I've thought about the calf, but we're sticking to one new species per year, and the sheep were this year. We don't eat enough pig parts to warrent raising a pig. The chickens and ducks will keep getting it.

Meg

12. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I bring my milk up to frothy almost boiling point(very important) add vinegar give it a stir....sometimes it needs a little extra vinegar to separate curd completely...pour into colander with cheese cloth liner...feed whey to chickens..

13. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

It occurred to me that if you're planning to raise sheep, you may need goat's milk for bum lambs. There are farmers out here who use goat's milk for lambs, calves and foals.

14. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Does anyone live close enough to Meg to give her a hand with learning to make cheese? I finally learned how just last year (after keeping goats most of the last 23 years!! But with three children we always drank almost all the milk our goats could produce.), and if I can learn how, anyone can!

I've been having to make some hard decisions about my goats, too -- have decided to sell my BEAUTIFUL reg. Oberhasli buck, and the OberXBoer doe, and their offspring, and concentrate just on the Kinder goats. I'm going to miss the big goats, as I really like them, but on our small plot of land the smaller Kinders are more practical -- and Opal is giving 12-14 lbs. of milk a day (way more than we need) and it hurts my hands to milk her out. My arthritis has flared up again since she freshened a couple of weeks ago. But . . . :Bawling: I don't WANT to sell them!

Kathleen

15. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

:Bawling: {{{{{{{{Kathleen}}}}}}}}}}} Big hugs for you!

Meg

16. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

I feel for you Kathleen!!!! I always keep kids on my does so I only milk them once a day. My arthritus flares up too, and it just bites that I'm the only one capable of milking right now, but I'm teaching the kids so they can help. They INSIST on "homemade" milk/eggs/etc. I think enough of us ought to be able to send our "easy" cheese recipes and tips to help some. ALSO MEG try using a crock pot to heat your milk instead of a pot on the stove!!! Everytime I use a pot on the stove I always manage to scortch the milk to the bottom of the pot, but never have a problem using a crock pot. The first cheese I learned to make is a soft spreadable cheese that my 3 y/o calls "my butter". We eat it on fresh bread and it's great. After a couple of months making that, I bought a garage sale fridge and set it up as a "cheese cabinet" and am TRYING to learn hard cheese making. I think they'll make KILLER Christmas presents, and I know around that season people here trade cheese like its gold!!!

Dont give up cheese making yet!!!! giggle.

17. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Glad to hear that you aren't getting rid of your goats. Good Luck with them. Bye.

18. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

any lay midwives in your area?? it is often used as a supplement when breast feeding isn't going well for some reason, or if a baby is lactose intolerant.