Talk about scare tactics!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Firethorn, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

CBS or was it ABC are advertising commercials for a show on America and the Avian flu. It is a dramatic show on how everyone dies because of a break out of the Avian Flu.
    I still think the good ol' gov. are the one that produced the D*** virus. And it got out of hand and now they are using it to take the focus off of all the real issues.
    How crazy is it to make a movie out of it? Especially when the media is hyping it up as an inevitable event.
    Have stuff like this been done to "scare" in the past and actually come about? Or is it more like the big flu of last year? We are NOT vaccinated and did NOT come down with any flu. And we live IN the city.

2. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

They are doing this so that you will be scared enough to be responsible for yourself and your family, in the event of a pandemic. There ain't gonna be any FEMA tuna and dried milk trucks going around your neighborhood, should this thing hit. Every state, community, neighborood and family will be on their own. Think 'Katrina' thousands of times over, for 18 months.

Pandemics aren't unusual....there have always been plagues and killer sicknesses. What's unusual, today, is that we don't know how to live through a bad period, without supermarkets, electricity, or running water. We have forgotten the ways to survive on our own...or we've had them taken away, mocked, made obsolete, or phased out.

The poor, in third-world countries, will probably do better in this, than the western world, because they know, only too well, how to live from hand to mouth, and make do.

3. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Early last spring there was a made for TV movie called Oil Storm. About a BIG Hurricane hitting the gulf States and interrupting the oil flow and gas went up 3 dollars 4 dollars 5 dollars finally to 7 bucks a gallon. Nobody said ANYTHING about that show Why do people think this show is anything different?"?? Just makes for good TV Drama that is all because people are talking about just like they were talking about a big storm hitting the Gulf Coast. Nothing will be lost in the showing of this Made For TV movie......

4. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Prepping is good, even without a scare. Since we changed our money from francs to euros, food prices have gone up 17%. If that continues, my preps will be better than money in the bank.

Consider it as insurance. I have house, life, health, and car insurance, why not pandemic/disaster/joblessness insurance. If nothing happens, I can eat the premiums.

Thinking about 'just in time' delivery, and outsourced supplies makes prepping a good idea, too. Not to mention today's 'normal', everyday news items...terrorists, nuclear threats, crazed immigrants....

5. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I was thinking about Oil Storm myself when I first heard about the Avian Flu movie. IMHO, it was an extremely unrealistic movie, designed to sensationalize the issue. I wonder how many people who saw that movie panicked when KatRita hit? I know the day before Rita made landfall and prices were going up, there were very long lines at the gas pump with lots of very worried looking people mumbling into their cellphones. There was also a run on gas cans and locking gas caps about the same time. I wouldn't be the least be suprised if there is a made-for-TV movie about an Aztlan uprising in the South West made in a few years. I try to avoid network TV, whenever possible.

6. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

I don't even have a TV.

7. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Did they have the technology to do this in 1959 or before this since 1959 was the first recorded outbreak of this variant?

8. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

DITTO

9. Firethorn

Yes.

10. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

Whens this show going to be on? I find those shows interesting..I think everyone should be stocking up anyways in case of any emergency.

11. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Really...they had the restrictioon enzymes availableto do this type of work? Can you provide a citation for any recombinant technologies and gene sequencing from this era?

12. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

This isn't the same flu as the 1959 pandemic is it? I thought H5N1 was a new virus?

13. Firethorn

Cant recall. It was only a piece that I caught. If it shows again I will post times. AS for stocking up: I did not get the impression it was that kind of movie. It cam across like more of an end of the world type. IMO

14. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

The black plague wasn't a thing that escaped from a government site. This is no different. Those other 'real issues' will evaporate, once this one rears it's ugly head.

15. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

It's called FATAL CONTACT: BIRD FLU IN AMERICA on May 9, ABC

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-abcbirdflumovie,0,2560682.story

I think the bird flu will reach this country among the bird population. I still haven't seen ANYTHING to convince me that this flu will eventually transmit from human to human. It has been around for about 9 years with no cases of that transmission. Why, just because it is going to be in America does everyone think all of the sudden it will mutate into a transmissible flu. Also, if it does eventually mutate, who is to say it won't be to a more mild form of the flu. They (TV, newspapers) show the death rate of this flu as being very high among the infected. How do we know what portion of the population didn't go to the doctor when they may have had a more mild form of this flu? I know if I get the flu I don't usually go to the doctor unless I have a secondary infection or feel it is out of control. These countries that have been infected are from a more poor location than me, maybe they treated themselves and moved on. We have no data on that. :shrug:

16. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

It might seem like both, should the worst of our fears come to pass.

17. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

These shows are no different then shows like The Killer bees, Winged Invasion, things like that. And for those that are not watching shows like this then it is hard to make comments as to just how these shows depict things These Are Made For TV shows nothing more nothing less. Thats Entertainment
    I can also mention Comet Collision, Asteroid 5 minutes till Domesday. There are shows after shows like this. It is not used as scare tactics just pure entertainment.
    There is a new movie coming to the theaters Poseidon, about a giant wave over turning a cruise ship Could it happen well yes will it Who Knows Same thing with the avian flu Will it mutate well Could only God knows But to be prepared nothing wrong with that. Same thing with the Killer Bees They Are in the Southern States People just have to be aware of them and take precautions. same thing here.

18. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

So what would you expect from a "made for tv" movie.
    utter Shock value....scare the pee out of you

And oh by the way, watch closely the 339 commercials crammed in to the 2 hour time slot.

Do those whores who produce that kind of crap have no ethics...?

Garbage tv

19. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Not a pandemic...unless your a chicken that is..it was a avian flu outbreak iin Scotland in 1959 identified as H5N1. The only thing that is new about this virus is the rapid spread of the H5N1 HPAI strain...which is very unusual but the fingers pointing at people causing alot of the problems.

20. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Well I already knew you didn't know! Sounds more like paranoia to me...