Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were supposed to go look at a dump truck for sale today, about 1 1/2-2 hour drive away, but when we phoned to confirm, they weren't going to be there. Polly, my big Saanen, was due yesterday and she was doing a lot of "talking" this morning, so I was just as happy not to go.

We just got back from town (I checked her before we left - nothing happening), gone maybe 1/2 an hour, and her water had just broken when I went in to check. First baby born, a doeling, perfect presentation. Second baby, a buckling, had a front leg back, so I had to go in and reposition it. (I scrubbed up with iodine shampoo and used a lubricant) I shudder to think what might have happened if we'd gone as originally planned!

I'm going to give her a shot of penicillin - should I do anything else?

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
I've heard that you only need to give antibiotics if you end up going elbow deep and doing serious turning/positioning.

I had two does with minor problems, one with a kid with both legs back, head sticking out, and another with one leg back. I'm pretty sure my hand was inside the cervix only (mid forearm). I used soapy warm water with a splash of bleach on my arm first, and checked their temps for a couple of days, no problems whatsoever.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
healthy kids beat a truck any day LOL
Oh, but we need the dump truck to get fill and sand to level out around the barn (it's a swamp in spring and fall), and create a riding ring! And there's a gazillion other things that can't be done until we get the fill levelled - it's an ongoing saga. :rolleyes:

I've heard that you only need to give antibiotics if you end up going elbow deep and doing serious turning/positioning.
I wasn't in that far - the nose and one hoof were already out, so I just pushed him a little ways back in, far enough to bring the other foot forward. Maybe halfway to my elbow? I have the penicillin anyway - better safe than sorry! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts