Tale of Woe

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bare, Sep 18, 2004.

1. bare

bare Head Muderator

Got up in the dark this morning, stumbled out to the coffee pot and got it started. Rummaged around for something good to eat and decided to make a loaf of bread in the new-fangled bread machine.

I really like my bread machine. Stick all the ingredients in it, push a button and an hour later, out pops this fine, fresh bread. No fuss, no muss.

So, almost an hour later, I'm sucking down my coffee and this heavenly odor wafts its way back, alerting me to expect a beep-beep.

I wander out and dig out the butter, look in the see-through lid at my bread. It wasn't there, at least, it didn't look like it was there. I knew it had to be there 'cause I could smell it.

I waited for the beep-beep and popped the lid. My breakfast was a shriveled up hard ball of cooked dough.

My bread machine never lets me down, it makes a perfect loaf every time. Dejected I resorted to a bowl of granola.

So, I still need some bread. I started a second batch and as I reached the final step of adding yeast to the pan, I opened the refrigerator to fetch the yeast and noticed that it was sitting right next to the parmisan cheese. Hmm, sorta looks the same, especially in the dark, same size plastic bag...

Bet my chickens broke their beaks on some cheesey tasting baked bread dough.

2. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha: :haha:

(I'm imagining little chicken swearwords) Good idea, though--why should you be the only one disgruntled by it?

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

He! I've done that a few times. :D

The only thing worse is mixing up some absolute fabulous bread in the machine, cooking it to perfection and biting into it only to discover I forgot to add butter to the mix. :waa: :waa:

4. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi bare, what kind of bread machine do you have???? Mine is about 8 years old and takes close to 4 hours to cook in one mode and about 2 hours on insta mode. Are the newer models that much better???

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

My Oster is probably a couple years old.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2109838/

It has a bunch of settings. Basic, 58 minute expressbake 85 minute expressbake, whole wheat, french, dough, and sweet I think. I think the longest setting is 3.5 hours.

I asked about recommendations here on the forum and went for this model becuase everyone bragged up the normally configured loaf, instead of vertical loaf. It'll make 1.5 or 2 pound loaves.

It also has three settings for crust, and a timer so that you can load it before you go to bed, or before you head off to work or town and come back to a fresh loaf.

I'm pretty slow to take up kitchen gadgets, but I purely love to put beans or soup in my crockpot and bread in my bread machine and come home to some good grits!

If you get a new one though, shop around. I got mine on line for around 30.00 which included shipping if I recall.

6. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks bare it sounds great and horizontal loaves too WOW. I wonder if my sister needs a used bread machine for Christmas. That way I can buy a new one. Thanks again...take care, Kathy

7. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

How is it physically possible to get bread dough to rise that fast?!! I have an old hitachi, vertical loaf type, and it take 4 H 20m! It was free, and I've perfected my recipe after some experimentation, but 58 MINUTES??? How can it develop gluten and yeast gases and all that in so short a space o'time?

8. bare

bare Head Muderator

Can't explain it to ya Snoozy, but it makes pretty passable bread. Not as good as regular homemade bread, but worlds better than store-bought.

I don't use anything fancy in it either, just plain old flour, water, oil, sugar, salt and bulk yeast.

9. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Snoozy, making it by hand doesn't take that long. My recipes all rise in 1-2 hours.

10. bare

bare Head Muderator

Yeah, but you have to spend half an hour getting everything together, mixed and kneaded and into the warm recep, punch 'er down and put the loaves in another pan, before you even bake them. Then you have to clean up!

I, on the other hand, just have to dump the ingredients into my mixer, push a couple buttons and wait less than an hour... What amazes me is no cleanup, just get the butter out!

IMHO bread machines have their place, as does regular home-made bread. I like either one myself.

11. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

I have a sunbeam bread maker, it also has a 58 minutes setting, basic white, sweet, wheat, etc & the directions for mine say to use the "rapid rise yeast' in the red package for 'ExpressBake". It also makes freezer jam. Not a lot, mind you, but I guess if all you had on hand was enough to make a couple pints I guess it would be good.

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

That is amazing,Im a 4 hr machine owner myself,and I find THAT amazing at how quick/easy it is to do.
    BooBoo

13. bare

bare Head Muderator

Oh yeah BCR, I forgot to say neener, neener, neener.

I just use plain old yeast, never tried the quick-rise stuff. Buy it a pound at a time from the food co-op...same dang place I buy my pound of parmasan cheese.

14. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

You're cracking me up bare! :haha:

(Noshing on a home-made whole wheat pita.....)