Taking up a musical instrument

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Caelma, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

If you could learn to play a musical instrument
    (one you've never played before)
    what would it be?
    I'm seriously considering taking up the violin.
    Hopefully :) one can teach an old dog new tricks :baby04:

2. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

I'd learn to play the dulcimer.

MaryNY

3. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I'd like to learn the Uillean pipes - but the practice pipes alone are $2500. :Bawling:

4. Esche

Esche Member

Bagpipes. The sound really is heart stirring, and you here them on every corner around here! (Scotland, that is...)

5. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Wahooo I play the Bagpipes...with a surname like Buchanan you know my ancestory :dance: ......I havent played for a few years now but had previous to that belonged to a Band. I learned when I was 12 years old and had to play on a 3/4 set of pipes. The music is the easiest I think for anyone to learn.

If I did learn another instrument I would like to play the piano, or the guitar.

6. mamastars

mamastars Well-Known Member

In my late 40's I wanted to learn to play the violin. So I bought one, took lessons, started playing pretty good and injured my right elbow and had to hang my bow up. I totaly enjoyed playing and think you should go for it! We're never to old to learn something new. This week I'm learning to work with stain glass.

7. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Hmmmm...bagpipes would be good...or a banjo. I already play a dulcimer.

8. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

The piano and the Violin...I already play the piano right handed and I played the flute for many years...still do some times.

9. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

Banjo or fiddle, but only because I can already play guitar. If I were starting from scratch, guitar would win hands down. It's extremely versatile compared to most other instruments, and there are far more resources available to a novice guitar player than there is for almost any other instrument. Piano might have it beat, but you can't easily load a piano into a pickup and haul it to your buddies campfire on short notice. :)

10. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

Long time ago I tried to learn how to play the guitar then the piano but I didn't stick with it. I love the sound of a flute and now that I quit smoking......just maybe....

11. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

They have bagpipes of several Types & sizes......
    They have Dumbeks, Bodhrans, & all types of Drums..........
    They have all kinds of Flutes, Woodwinds, & Brass.
    They have Squeezeboxes, Button Accordians & Piano Accordians
    Violins & all kinds of pickin' String instruments.

It's a Place called "Lark in the Morning" Music.

Their web address is:

http://www.larkinam.com/Default.asp?bhcd2=1168869561

I have bought a couple things from them. Price was reasonable.
    Quality was fine.
    You might save it in your favorites, just because of all the interesting
    Musical apparatus. Amazing.
    Have Fun.

12. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

Hammered dulcimer. I have a mountain dulcimer but the sound is totally different. They have a dulcimer festival in Midland, Michigan every summer.

13. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I like all music styles that use accordians: old cowboy, polka, cajun, zydeco, tijuana, etc. All of these are "happy" music. Consequently, I would love to learn to play an accordian.

14. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I just bought my first musical instrument yesterday, an acoustic guitar. I have never even strummed a guitar, and I'm 49 years old! I have wanted to learn to play for many years and by golly I'm gonna give it my best shot!

Any advice is welcome :)

15. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

There are lots of ways to start. If you're pretty motivated and a DIYer I really believe you can grab a book, perhaps a video and/or an audio tape or CD and learn quite a bit that way. If you can find someone who can mentor you and give you tips here and there IMO that is the best way to go. If you really need a lot of directions then the best way to go is probably lessons through a regular teacher. I learned to play guitar from friends who lived a day's drive away. They taught me some basic chords and a few strumming patterns on one trip. I grabbed a chord finder book to learn more chords, then I just started playing! I learned bits and pieces from other friends and got better by practicing with different groups. I eventually did take lessons for a while since there were some things I wanted to learn that I wasn't picking up on my own. DD was taking violin lessons so it was handy to take the lessons at the same time she did. I think you just need to keep asking around and talking to people to find others who can help. There are LOTS of small groups that play together if you look hard enough to find them.

If I wanted to learn another instrument, it would probably be something stringed. Banjo or violin probably.

16. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Mountain or Hammered?

Marlene

17. Weedologist

Weedologist Member

I am a professional musician, primarily a saxophonist. I would recommend an instrument that allows you to sing while you play and one that allows you to play more than one note at a time. This would include, among other things, the piano and the guitar. Piano is lots of fun. If you want something exotic, try the bandonoen. It is the quintessential Argentine tango instrument, originally intended as a mobile organ in Germany in the mid-1800's. It has the most beautiful sound and is by far my favorite instrument.

18. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

having donated any musical talent too my kids ,i will set on the sidelines and cheer them on! :dance: :dance: girl child plays acoustic, electric bass, and bull bass (her christmas present, kid could play that thing staight off!) boy child plays acoustic, electric and electric bass. their maw wants a banjo!! :help: :help:that, with her rocking chair, shotgun and an ole huntin dawg she will be ready when the boys come calling for our daughter!! still haven't figured out why we donate space to a piano!! (or a drum set that is rumored too be coming our way!) least they did not take up the harp, bull base is big enough too haul round too concerts! :hobbyhors

19. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Then you could come and play for Morris dancers! :dance: Melodions, concertinas, squeezeboxes, buttonboxes - all very traditional Morris instruments. I saw an accordian player from Newfoundland, a few years ago. What he could do with that instrument was simply astounding!

I used to play French horn and trumpet in high school - but not really great solo instruments.

20. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

I already play keyboard, but I would love to learn to play the violin.