Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a long time reader of this forum but haven't posted in ages. I hope this message is in the appropriate place...

I've finally decided to take the plunge and resign my full time job and spend my time at home with my two young sons (ages 3 and 9 months) I've tried to live simply these past few years and we've built our dream house on 15 acres of land in Eastern Kansas.

We have a small kitchen garden, asparagus patch, and a few fruit trees going already. Now that I'll be home full time I'd like to expand the operation and get more self reliant but with the two boys I don't know how much I'll be able to do.

How many of you have (or have had) small children and what did you do to get done what needed done on the farm while they were small? Of course I'll still have the mornings and evenings and our oldest LOVES to help whenever he can... :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Premium Member
7,295 Posts
Didn't have mine both small same time- with one tiny one (3) I had her on a blanket playing near me while I fixed fence and such, so long as sun burn wasn't a concern. She loved the chickens and corn patch most of all.

·
Registered
609 Posts
congratulations! I got to stay home until my triplets where 3. You get done what you can when you can and the rest just has to wait. DH was really good about helping out with stuff around the house and he did all the guy stuff. Are you a mom or a dad? We had a fenced play yard out by the garden and a baby monitor so I could be out working while they were napping.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tricky Grama said:
Where in KS? I grew up in ol' Junction City.
I'm near Williamsburg, KS. Its about an hour and a half SW of Kansas City, 45 min NE of Emporia

tripletmom said:
congratulations! You get done what you can when you can and the rest just has to wait. DH was really good about helping out with stuff around the house and he did all the guy stuff...Are you a mom or a dad? We had a fenced play yard out by the garden and a baby monitor so I could be out working while they were napping.
I'm a father. My wife stayed home with our oldest but has since gone back to work. Our newest just isn't getting the same attention so we decided it was my turn to "take a break" (my wife laughs and shakes her head every time I use that phrase).

Thanks for the ideas on the blanket, fenced play yard, and baby monitor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.