Taking away the Bottle

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Haggis, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

The little Jersey heifer I brought back from Wisconsin a couple of weeks past is now taking 1 1/2 pounds of starter rations in the morning and an equal amount in the evening. Along with this she takes 1/2 gallon of milk from her bottle.

Jim in Mo assures me that once a calf is taking 2 pounds per day she doesn't need the bottle. The problem is that I don't seem to have the nerve to take away her bottle!!! :( :(

She's 8 weeks old. She eats her hay just fine. I see her drinking from her water bucket, and have to refill it along and along.

It's kind of like when Herself had our fifth child at home; it was really hard to cut the cord.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Put less and less milk and more and more water in her bottle until it's mostly water. Then go to once a day. Then tell her how big girls don't get to suck a bottle.

3. We got a holstein bull calf at 5 days old and gave him 3 Q goats milk a day for 1 month than up to 1&1/2 gal over the next month and up to almost 2 gal. Needless to say he was only eating a little hay and grain until he was 3 months old. I kept him on 1 gal milk a day until 5 months old. He loves his bubby but now eats just hay and grain. He will be 6 months at the end of the month and going into the freezer! I think he's about 400-450. He was fed goats milk, good/excellent hay (no pasture) and 17% goat feed (5# aday after weaning).

4. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Okay unc, I gave her 1 1/2 pounds of ration this morning, and she wolfed it down. Then I cut her to a quart of warm water with a quart of fresh squeazed milk. She didn't seem to notice the difference.

She does love her bottle. She goes at it like fighting snakes. :haha:

5. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

What's the problem? She's not very old. She'll wean herself in due time.When I raised horses,they were weaned between four and six months, by myself or the mare.
    With the goats I have now, around four months they aren't so anxious for bottle, so we wean them.
    I know! It gets tiring! On the other hand, they're so easy to work around when they come to milking time.

6. angus_guy

angus_guy Well-Known Member

Haggis,

I raise holstein calves (bull) get them at 1-5 days and raise them on the bottle for 6 weeks

I feed two quarts 2x per day along with free choice sweet feed at 42 days they are eating about 4-5 lbs per day of sweet feed and as much hay as they want.

Why not bottle feed until they wean themself .....$$$$ and labor

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

A calf will suck the cow until the cow drys up and kicks it for trying to suck. If the calf is left with the cow until she has another calf the yearling will start sucking the cow again. Calves never get too big to suck.

8. We had plenty of goat milk with 5 does. Yes I hand milked 2x a day but my labor pool included a 9 and 10 yo very capable of feeding the calf and goats. We even cut some grass with hand shears and carried it in plastic walmart totes when hay was hard to come by for 2 months during our wet summer. I even "let" the neighbors kid help!

9. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We are a dairy farm and raise purebred Jerseys and Jersey/Norwegian Red crosses.
    We keep the calves on the bottle for around a week and wean them to a bucket fairly soon after that. Mostly because it is simpelr to feed with the bucket and partially because they can get more liquids that way.
    They receive milk replacer (only until we are clean from Johne's, then it is back to milk from the cows) until around 8 weeks and then we wean them. If we are at the tail end of a bag of replacer, no more calves for awhile and the heifers are past six weeks we will wean them a little earlier. We have healthy heifers and great producing cows.

She will still look to you for loving, even if you take the bottle away. I have heifers out in the field that follow me around.

Be strong. :)

10. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha:

Poor Haggis. You're as bad as I am. That's why I get them off the bottle and on a bucket as soon as possible.

Rosanna's right you have to be strong here and she'll follow you around for her loving, so not to worry my friend........ ;)

11. txmilkm

txmilkm Member

In my opinion, if you have spare milk to feed her, get her onto a bucket and feed her the milk as long as you can. We have given calves milk for as long as 6 months, poured into a trough. They seem to grow better.We usually try to put them on a bucket at about 2 weeks of age (saves getting butted as they get bigger).
    Several years ago we were milking 6 cows by hand twice a day and ran the milk through the cream separator to make butter and fed all of the skim milk to the big calves. When it came time to sell, they outweighed calves of the same apparent size by a bunch. These were all holstein or holstein cross steer calves.

12. Jim in MO

OK Haggis you big softie. How goes the weaning? I know you're still giving her the bottle fess up...... :haha:

13. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I'm a wimp! :waa:

14. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

15. Jim in MO

:haha: :haha: :haha:

I knew it! Oh well, no harm no foul. She'll just get a little plumper a little quicker is all.

You may want to switch her over to a bucket though, makes life a lot easier.

Enjoy your "Little Darling" You'll wean her when your ready.

Jim