Taking a tire off ?????

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Patty0315, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I am trying to take a tire off a car . I took off the hub cap and bolts jacked it up and its stuck. I sprayed some wd40 around the bolts and have banged the sh** out of it . Any tips other than getting a mans strength ?? Thanks ~ Patty

2. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

You took of the lug nuts..right :haha: just kidding..... What I do is take the all mighty sledge hammer and smack it a couple of times..

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

And if that don't work, just get a bigger hammer.

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Lurking female amateur here, but I have some experience on this one. Sometimes when you take the lugs off, the holes where the bolts come through the wheel get hung up on the threads of the bolts that stick through. If you're trying to pull straight off, it seems like it's cemented there. If you lift 1/4" up and then straight off, it comes off like butter.

Boys, don't laugh at me if I misnamed something. :rolleyes: :haha:

5. Hogsubie

Hogsubie Well-Known Member

Sometimes a steel wheel can rust to the hub, whether it's disk or drum brakes. Get a sledge and give it a good whack towards the center of the wheel. Be careful to not bung up the studs or you won't get the lugnut back on. Also be careful and don't hit the rim either, as that could warp it and cause an air leak.

6. VonWolfen

VonWolfen Well-Known Member

I normally just stand with my back to the wheel and kick the bottom of the tire sidewall with my heel. I just got the mental picture of this poor lady with a 10 pound sledge with a full backswing.....this may be worth the price of admission!!
    When I nod my head, you hit it!!!!

7. Patty0315

Sledge worked just great , pretended I was hitting the X . If he was a man he would still have contact with his daughter and HE would be doing her brakes. OK I am done bitching for now . Thanks all who replied. ~ Patty

8. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Just goes to show that you can fix anything if you've got a big enough hammer... :D

Oh yeah the breaker bar (aka pipe over the ratchet handle) can just about make any stuborn nut or bolt break lose... Enough frustration and cussing works tremendously too :cool:

I hate it when I try to do something and the DH comes out and says do you want me to get that for you.... :eek: after I've been out there for at least an hour...

But you know if you want something done you'd just better do it yourself.... :D :haha:

9. stonefly71

stonefly71 Well-Known Member

Just use a small propane torch and heat it up just a bit after you spray somw w-d 40 on it then give a good wack and should pop right off.

10. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not sure I like that combination of oil product & flameon a wheel with rubber, grease, & brake fluid around it, in addition to hardened studs, brake rotor, Timkin bearing.......

Just seems like it is too much stuff for a rather simple problem. The wheel hub is seated pretty tightly on the axle, & requires a little force from behind, perhaps in a few locations, to knock it off. no need for the heat? If you use a lubricant, WD-40 is about the worst choice, PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench or some such would do a better job of loosening.

--->Paul

11. Patty0315

Thanks all. I got the tires off, brake job done and tires back on . And I did it all by myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the brakes even work and the tires haven't fallen off! :haha:

12. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Have you taken it off the jack stands yet? :p