Taking a chance....

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mutti, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

do you all take a chance on early plantings? I just planted a few short rows of green beans,watered well and covered with Remay. If they make it I will do they happy dance. :dance: Our soil here is southern MO. is plenty warm and just the right moisture level with last nites' rains. I usually do late fall plantings and frequently get lucky extending the season. Unlike those who wait for the first corn or 'maters I long for the first green beans. Already did the carrotts,lettuce,spinach,beets,radishes,cabbage thing...I want beans! DEE

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

No, I hate doing the "it's colder than hell out here as I spread my bedsheets on the garden" dance.

.....Alan.

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Yup. There's still frost in the ground but I think I can plant peas, beets, spinach and a few others in two weeks.

4. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I definitely have to try for a few early beans(and late beans). Unfortunately, I seem to be extending the season a little too long as I keep getting caught. But even one extra meal sure is tasty.

5. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

There are alot of plants that actually prefer the colder weather. So this year I'm going to follow the instructions that say "As soon as the soil can be worked".

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

yep, it's worth trying. all you'll be out is a little seed.

locally, there is a popular green bean called "pink beans." i don't know what their real name is, but they can take the cold a little better, and give an earlier crop. they are short, have a kind of pinkish cast to the bean, with a full round bean inside when they are ripe.

remay and raised beds go a long way toward longer growing seasons.

7. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

My goodness, Mutti, I think I'm your neighbor--and i've been wondering if i should chance planting peas! guess you're braver than i am--i'm not going to plant beans for another month. that said--wasnt the 80 degrees nice today?
    i do have potatoes, radish, lettuce. carrots and onions out. and my garlic bed is just beautiful!

8. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

If you don't lose something to frost in the spring, you aren't planting early enough. I've constantly pushed the envelope a few days, weeks, or even a month. 9 of 10 times, it works. The only thing that I won't try too early are beans after years of trying. I've found that the temperature of the soil is more important than that of the air. If the soil temperature isn't up around 60, the beans simply vanish. Some will say that about peas as well but I've got some in the ground already and expect 100% germination!

Martin

9. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, my peas are up here in so. Mo and the soil temp is above 60 in my raised beds so about 3 out of 5 years I get away with planting early beans. I automatically put Remay over for chilly nights but up on our mountaintop we don't get the valley frosts. Hey,it's only bean seed! Have found that the purple beans don't seem to mind cold as much. I do only plant half my tomatoes at a time around the first of May and reserve the rest just in case. Every year has a few failures but I still will plant anything once. DEE