Take two.....

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Back2Basix, May 9, 2017.

1. Back2Basix

Back2Basix Well-Known Member

Well my first month or two with breeding rabbits didn't go as planned. 1 doe was actually a buck, which fed my wife and i for about 3 meals each (yum yum). 2nd doe was a mean mean aggressive creature. Hissing, charging, biting, skittish, no interest in breeding, etc. Needless to say, Saturday night i fed 6 people for a cookout and had leftovers for Monday.

Feeling defeated, i was determined to figure out a rabbit breeding/meat production process to feed my wife and i, plus my buck is such a nice dude that i had to find some ladies for him.

So my supplier (aka coworker/farming friend) felt bad and gave me 2 new tried and true does that just kindled 4-5 weeks ago. They're Cali's & my buck is a NZW and let me just say, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!

1. These new girls are much more docile. Don't mind being held, pet, etc

2. They bred like champs. I bred them less than 24hrs after getting them and though there was a little hesitation with one, once my buck whispered sweet nothings into her ear and gave her a nice shoulder massage, she was feeling hot and heavy.

3. Breeding went flawlessly with both. 2 successful mounts the first interaction and 2 more successful mounts about 3-4hrs later.

Now it's time to build some nesting boxes and 2 large grow out hutches for when they are weaned.

I'm thinking I'll separate does and bucks from mom at 4 weeks and re-breed her then.

Any advise now that things seem to be working??

dsmythe likes this.
  2. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

Cals are sweet. They were my breed when I did meat rabbits for breeding stock.
    I have downsized to pet rabbits now, 5 pounds and less.

Make sure they have a nest box a few days before they are due.

I would leave the babes with mom till at least 6 weeks. I usually left them
    till 8 weeks. You could breed mom at 6 weeks. 4 weeks is pushing her a big hard.
    It's going to depend on how many she has per litter. Big litters give her some time
    to recoup.

dsmythe likes this.

3. Marinea

Marinea Well-Known Member

Also consider summer heat when breeding. Extra stress for the doe if she does catch, and possible sterility for the buck in the heat.

4. Back2Basix

Thanks for the heads up. I don't think waiting 6-8weeks would be an issue since I'm just providing meat for my wife & I and usually a monthly food drop at my grandma's to help her.

What's the usually going rate for juvenile live or dressed rabbits?? If thinks start producing too fast i might try to sell some on Craigslist.

Also, I'm in big 4H/County Fair country. Any possibility making money outside of just "meat" production??

5. Back2Basix

Thanks, I've read that. Right now they're in the garage but i want to try and build some outside hutches under the shade of a few large pine trees. Should protect from direct sun and wind/snow in the winter

6. Back2Basix

There are 3 county fairs within 10 miles of mine, not to mention 75% of my muscovy sales went to farms in northern Indiana (big amish country) Plus 4H, FFA, etc.

Just weighing my options to see if a little extra $$ could be made

7. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to sell my purebred Cals as breeding stock.
    I got $ 25 each at 8 weeks old.
    4H is always good option for a purebred animal.
    My older proven animals I got $ 40 each for the does.
    Bucks would depend on how many extras I had and
    if I had to move them out quicker.

Not much money in meat rabbit sales here.
    Better to eat them your selves.

8. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Well-Known Member

Good for you. :)

9. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Well-Known Member

You might look at various ethnic groups in your area for fresh meat sales, just be prepared to sharpen your pencil and know what your true costs are.