Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined the weight loss club last Monday night, (the 16th). Went back tonight for my first weigh-in. I lost 3.25 lbs. Got about another 96.75 lbs. to go.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Ruby said:
I joined the weight loss club last Monday night, (the 16th). Went back tonight for my first weigh-in. I lost 3.25 lbs. Got about another 96.75 lbs. to go.
Oh Ruby - I hope you're more dedicated than I am. When we have that much to lose, I wonder how we could have gotten here in the first place - what epiphany would be so powerful that it could carry us to our goal? Good luck!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Don't know if it qualifies as an epiphany or not, but I just got tired of being so soft and giggly. I started at 292 and and am down to around 255 depending on what day or time I weigh myself. After struggling with dieting alone and not seeing the results I was hoping for, I started riding my bicycle seriously. First I started riding to and from work for around an 8 mile round trip. After around a month of this, I started taking trips on the weekends and last Saturday I rode for 45 miles. Now talk about results! Now I feel like I have more energy not as tired all the time and I am finally losing my man-boobs. :dance: www.mapmyride.com has a great way to track your progress and includes walking ect for exercises. Really glad I found that one.

·
Happy Lurker
70 Posts
I joined TOPS in Nov. and last week I hit my twenty pound mark. I have 47 lbs. to go.
I love my tops group. It keep me accountable. Keep up the good work.

·
Administrator
19,228 Posts
I found when I lost weight that I had to change a couple thoughts. I found that instead of thinking I had to loose close to 100 lbs, I looked at it as 10 lbs and then another 10 lbs and so on. Looking at the big picture made it seem like such a huge task. I also found that when I began looking at it as a forever change of lifestyle instead of 'being on a diet' or 'weight loss program' that loosing weight became less difficult and I put more effort into creative meals rather than just getting through today meals. Good luck with your program choice, I've heard it's very good and accountability and support are two of the most important keys to successful weight loss.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I joined TOPS the first time in 1985, lost 65 lbs. Then we bought a 5th wheel travel trailer and started traveling. Needless to say I gained it all back. I joined the group I'm going to now back in 1999 and went almost a year. I lost about 20 or so lbs. then I hurt my back and had back surgery in 2001. I can no longer walk for exersize. When I go to the flea marked then I'm down a couple days because of leg pain and back pain. (The surgery didn't work) So this time it's going to have to be a life change. I will have to change my cooking habits. I also keep a food chart. That helps me keep track of what I ate. It makes a differance.

WR, the small goal setting for me don't work. When I look at the 100 lbs I need to lose that is a reality check for me. I still have to get a statement from the Dr. as to just what my goal weight needs to be. I'll do that next month when I go back for my med. refills.

Cem, congradulations. Keep it up and it won't be long you'll be a KOPs.

Rufus, I love riding a bicycle, but the road here is too rough. I don't have room at the time for a stationary bike. I have a building where I have my sewing machines set up, but at the time we have all our camping stuff in there while my husband is working on the popup camper. After he gets it finished and we get everything out I will be looking for a bike to set up in there.

Gercarson, thanks for the good luck. It will just take determation.

·
Happy Lurker
70 Posts
My husband bought me a treadmill for Mother's Day/Birthday/Valentine's Day. I have it setup in our family room. I have it in front of the TV (you have to turn the volume up). I put on a program and walk through the show. It really makes the time go fast. I tell myself I can sit and watch it or walk. I hate when I concentrate on the timer. If I walk 3mph with the crosswalk on, I can burn 600 calories in 60 minutes. Last month at TOPS award time, I got a certificate for 69 miles independent walking. It adds up pretty fast. If I don't exercise, I have trouble losing.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cem said:
My husband bought me a treadmill for Mother's Day/Birthday/Valentine's Day. I have it setup in our family room. I have it in front of the TV (you have to turn the volume up). I put on a program and walk through the show. It really makes the time go fast. I tell myself I can sit and watch it or walk. I hate when I concentrate on the timer. If I walk 3mph with the crosswalk on, I can burn 600 calories in 60 minutes. Last month at TOPS award time, I got a certificate for 69 miles independent walking. It adds up pretty fast. If I don't exercise, I have trouble losing.
That's great. I don't have room for one in my house. I live in a tiny 8 X 50 trailer. That's why I'll have to put one in the sewing room.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Ruby I just started my self 3 months ago. I have about 60 pounds to go. It took me 30 plus years to put on the 95-100 pounds , But I Am working on it. Don't ask me how its working It just is. I think the high heat has A bit to do with it, As my water intake has went up to 1 1/2 galoons A day from near zero. I used to drink A six pack of soda A day PLus Iced tee and other sugary drinks. Now its 1-2 cans A week and its NOW ginger ale not colas. Plus the juices I am downing. IF I can do it you can too. Best wishes and good luck!!

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the incourgament, and good luck to you with the Dr. next week. Have them to give you and EKG for your heart. It will let them know if the pain you were having did any damage.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Weigh-in last night, another 3.25 lbs. lost. Don't know how that happened, 3.25 lbs, two weeks in a row. But I'm not complaining.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We all have those setbacks once in a while. I think most of mine right now is fluid weight. I really want to keep it a about 1-2 lbs a week. That way it will stay off.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Weigh in was last night, I only lost 1/2 lb. but I knew I wouldn't be loosing like I did the first two weeks.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Weigh in tonight lost another 5 1/2 lbs.

I have to say since I've cut out alot of fat calories and sugar I haven't even wanted sweets. We went out to eat at a buffet on Friday and I wasn't even tempted with the dessert bar.

I had 3 small pieces of fried fish, a large helping of Italian flat green beans, a large helping of boiled cabbage, one small crab cake, and one hushpuppie. Then about a cup of cantaloupe and watermelon.

I think my body is adjusting to the life change I'm making.

I know I have to get this extra weigh off, because I'm having more and more pain in the back and hip. I had back sergury in 01 and should have gotten the weight off sooner.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Ruby - good job on the weight loss.

For those talking about TOPS...........what is that???

Thanks

Jill

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TOPS is a support group that meets once a week. It stands for Take Off Pounds Sensibly. They have them all over the world. Here is a link.

www.tops.org

They do not put you on a diet, they are just there for support and to cheer you on. Lots of the people use the exchange system, atkins, southbeach, just anything that works for you.

The national dues which you pay yearly is 24 dollars and each chapter has a monthly due, ours is 4 dollars a month. But I think each chapter sets their own monthly dues. We have contest for best looser of the week, plus usually all member take part in a monthly contest. We also earn charms for different things.

I first joined back in '85 and lost lots of weight, but quit going before I reached my goal. I've been back for a month and total loss is 12 lbs. so far. I'm not really following a diet, just changing my eating habits and watching my calories.

You can got to the website and find a chapter near you.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Weigh in last night, another 3 lbs gone.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Weigh in last night. Didn't loose, but didn't gain either.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts