tail docking

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by tami, May 12, 2004.

1. tami

tami Active Member

We are getting a couple of registered Cotswold ewe lambs for the kids to show. They will be shown in breeding class. The only problem is that the breeder that we are getting them from likes long tails, and docks very long. These lambs are 3 weeks old now and I got to thinking that the long tail probably will not show very well. (this is the first year they will show sheep, lots to learn) We are not picking them up until they are weaned in another month. I am wondering if there is anything that can be done about docking them shorter at this point? I docked a neighbors lambs tails at 3 weeks, but I do not know yet whether she will be interested in redocking or if we will have to wait until we get them.

Thanks

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Sooner rather than later is best. Kind of a shame it matters and you may want to check the regulations for docking lengths. I dock long too. Helps prevent prolapses.

3. tami

tami Active Member

I should mention that I do not mean to dock them to the point of no tail at all. I think that is cruel and silly practice that should be banned-as some fairs are taking the lead to do. Sorry club lamb people!

4. out of curiosity, is it necessary to dock tails if not for show? I mean say if I just want sheep for my personal use can I just avoid the docking bit all together, or is there a health reason for docking?

Thanks for letting me jump in and if inappropriate let me know and I'll open a new thread.

T.C.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I dock the tails because the ends get caked in manure and attract flies. It can cause fly strike, a maggot infestation! Too short causes prolapsed vaginas and rectums. (there are other causes too.) Slaughter lambs can probably be left un docked. I tried that to make the wethered males easier to spot from behind and it worked OK. I am docking them this year though.

6. for clairfying

7. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

I, too, dock my lambs' tails long. I use the banding method and put the band where the side skin flaps on each side of the tail meets the tail.(Does that make sense?)

I do not approve of the way club lambs are docked. That is the reason I don't have club lambs or show lambs. I understand that some states in the USA have changed the docking regulations so that tails are left a bit longer. Does anyone know anything about that?

8. pilot_34

pilot_34 Well-Known Member

When I raised Finns I never found a need for it ,but they dont have much of a tail to start with.