Tags on goats neck

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TAdkins, Aug 15, 2005.

1. TAdkins

TAdkins Member

I'm kinda new to goats and I'm wandering what the 2 tags on some goats necks are? Is this related to a particular breed? If so, what kind. Just curious.
    Thanks

2. WindSong Farm

WindSong Farm Member

I think you are refering to "wattles". :) I have Alpines and Nubians, although I've never had a Nubian have them, I'm not saying they can't because I don't know.

However, with the Alpines it appears to be genetic, and nope; they don't have a function; they're just decoration! :) I've noticed that quite a few of the Swiss breeds have them. I also had some pygmy goats who had wattles, but I haven't had pygmys for probably 7 years now.

I've heard of some people cutting them off but I don't see why; I think they're cute!

3. ilikefathorses

ilikefathorses My Horse Really Is Fat

My family raises Alpines and Saanens, but we have many many friends who raise Nubians, and at least half of the Nubians I know around here have wattles. None of our Saanens or Alpines have ever been born with them, though... maybe it only runs in certain bloodlines.

4. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

We have a "mixed" herd of goats; a Saanan buck sire and an assortment of mixed Nubians, Boers and Nigerian dwarf offspring. The mother of the Nigerian is mostly black with some white socks and has wattles. Her daughter (don't ask me how they managed it.....I wasn't around at the time! :goodjob: ) is all white like her dad and has wattles like mom; (none of the other "kids" have the wattles) also bleats like a Nigerian instead of a Saanan.....so the wattles thing apparently is genetic. She is only 3 months old and already stands as tall as her mother.....expect her to get a bit bigger though. Cute as a bug too!!!

5. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

I don't have any Nubians that have wattles and I've never seen a nubian with wattles, but I know that wattles are a genetic thing. They aren't on all animals of a breed, they are in some peoples' lines so if you like them you can buy them and if they aren't your thing, you can get goats without them just as easily. Most people don't care and are more intersted in the milk aspect of the swiis breeds.