Table Grapes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Oxankle, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of grapes; made quite a study of them when I was younger. In the past 45 years I have planted probably two dozen plants, none of which produced grapes fit for the table. Juice, yes, pretty vines, yes, but table grapes, no.

When we moved here I worked up some ground out back for a second garden and planted a row of grapes. Sunbelt, Einsett, Reliance, Marquis, Vanessa, St Pepin, Marechal Foch, Remailly . Life Events interfered and the garden went to weeds.

When I could get back to it I had only 4 vines. I pampered them and this year they are thriving, three of them are bearing fruit. One a nice big white seedless, another a pretty and tasty red seedless. The Remailly is the only one I am certain of, and it is the one not bearing. For the first time in my life I have some really nice table grapes and I do not know which varieties they are!!!!

LOL; out with the list of plantings and my tape measure. I know the planting intervals and the row ends, so I will simply survey them out.

I am pretty sure the one grape that is bearing unripe fruit is Sunbelt, a Concord substitute. I'll know later this afternoon.

Now my question: Does anyone know if grapes can be bench grafted and layered over the winter? I propose to bench graft a vinifera grape onto a labrusca cutting, bury it over the winter to let it callous, then plant it in the spring. We are running over with possum grapes here; if I could graft a vinifera cutting to a fox grape I would have a rootstock that I know would thrive.
    Ox

2. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

I ain't no grape expert BUT Stark Brothers patented 'Jupiter' is pure glory on the table. BTW, Howdy!

3. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Thanks for that;

I called Pense Nursery and Boston Mountain Nursery, both in Arkansas and made arrangements to pick up Jupiter, Reliance, Vanessa and Mars as soon as frost! They are about a hundred and twenty five miles from me and it is a beautiful drive in the fall.

Friend came over yesterday while I was out in the garden and I cut a cluster of the red grapes for him. Before it was over he had eaten the whole bunch!!!

That particular grape (and I have about decided it is Einsett) has a fault. When the grapes ripen they loosen on the cluster and can be shaken off. You can lose as many as you eat if not careful.
    Ox