Ta Daaaa! drum roll please

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by SherrieC, Feb 27, 2005.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

We caught the, yes it was a mink!!! :haha: Beautiful sable fur, & stinky stink. Caught him in the hen house with a piece of chicken he had dispacted the night before. Do you think it is safe to move the bunnies back out? They are Not social animals are they? It definately didn't show fear of us or the dog, It ignored all of us. This was not the weasel we see on occasion, I've never seen this bugger before. :eek:

2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

What a relief for you, Sherrie. Can't offer any advice, as fortunately this is one problem we have not (yet) had around here, but hope this marks the end of your troubles.

3. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

YAY! I know how you feel! I'm so glad...how did you catch him or her?!?! If you havnt seen this fella b-4 then maybe you shoudl hold off for another few days till you know there isnt another.
    AJ

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I was Desperate to catch him so we place out a foot hold trap, and a small rat/squirrel/ weasel trap(this one it bent the roof on to escape), and a larger bunnie sized live trap which is the one we got him in, used chicken parts to entice him back into the chicken coop. Husband is trying to find a fur buyer today to get back some of the $$ he cost us in loss, Darn critter should've stuck to eating wild bunnie, as we have plenty of those.

5. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Sherrie ,, I'm thinking ,, just to be on the safe side ,, reset both the traps you have ,, bait n wait ,,,

I know Your probably ready to get the rabbits back outside and situated but ,, I'd delay a few days to see if there's anything else roaming around ,, its spring and prey is hard to find ,, especially for the young inexperienced wild critters from last fall and they are roamin now trying to find their own territory too ,,

6. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Good Job! It is beautiful fur though :) .

If it was male, it probably was the only one around--they are territorial. If it was a female, I wonder when they start having babies???? The one we caught was a male (we skinned and tanned it). After we caught him we didn't have troubles for a while, until the next one moved in :( .

Do you have water near your place? You could give a trapper premission to work any wet lands on your property. It would cut down on the mink for you.

I keep traps out all the time. I still have not caught the last mink but I made the coop a little harder to get in, so have not had a return visit. I make it hard for larger animals (my poultry and dogs) to get at them. I did just catch a opposum (sp?) in my box trap behind the coop.

Good luck!