Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to make a t-shirt quilt for the first time. I'm wondering if anyone out there has made one. I have a question about the quilting.

All the links I can find with pictures do not show quilting lines, so I imagine they are "stitched in the ditch." But that sometimes leave as much as 8" between quilting lines. I thought quilting lines had to be 4" apart. Does anyone have experience with this?

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
I haven't ever made a tshirt quilt, so I can't answer that part, but as for the quilting space on the batting, that depends on the batting. Some are 4 inches apart, some are 8 inches apart, they vary.

My favorite and most used batting is Quilters Dream Wool, and it can be quilted 8 inches apart.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm going to have my dh's T-shirt quilt meander quilted by a machine quilter. Somewhere I read why you want them quilted closely but I can't remember why now. I fused interfacing on the back of the T-shirt quilt blocks to make them stable so the quilting may be in case the fusing separates.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I also used interfacing on the t-shirt quilt I made. I didn't quilt on the t-shirts because of the ink, but framed each square, and quilted on the sashing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Maura,

How did your quilt hold up with use and washing?

My blocks ended up being quite large (I think 15") to get all the design in on some of the shirts. I don't think I want to leave a space that large without some quilting. I don't want the quilting to go over the design itself but think I would need something since the block is so large.

What do you think?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts