T-post driver?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mrs.H, Aug 22, 2010.

1. mrs.H

mrs.H Romans 8:28

DH and I are shopping for land, still, and he was just thinking of all the t-posts we would have to pound in to fence in 2 to 4 acres :shocked: ! I told him I would ask the folks here if there were such a thing as a mechanical t-post driver. We have a heavy hollow tube pounder. It works, but he would like something pneumatic(sp?) or hydrolic(sp) or electric! Any leads?
    Thanks in advance!!

2. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010

3. drafthorsegal

drafthorsegal Well-Known Member

Not sure if you have a tractor with a bucket on it but I helped someone set up t-posts once by holding the post while he gently dropped the bucket down and sunk the post in slick as can be.

4. PNP Katahdins

PNP Katahdins sheep & antenna farming Supporter

Consider rental, not purchase, too. A friend of ours rents one that works with his ATV.

Peg

5. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

T-posts drive pretty easy. You can drive one in about 30 seconds. You are a homesteader, it involves physical exertion. Get used to it.

6. CarolynRenee

CarolynRenee Well-Known Member

Obviously you have NOT tried to drive t-posts in the Ozarks! :)

7. texican

texican Well-Known Member

One of my aunts borrowed my tractor once, and drove thousand of t-posts... so many she buggered the front end loader bucket... still usable, it just has character. FEL's are the cat's pajamas... for whacking t-posts in the ground... might bend the posts if you hit rock...

8. tinknal

Well, I have rocks. Easy to relocate a post.

9. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Pretty easy to rent or buy a driver to make short work of a tedious job too.

10. tinknal

Well, I'm not gonna argue about it, just seems a waste of money to me for the minimal amount of effort required to drive a steel post.

11. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

As mentioned by Tinknal, manual driving 30 seconds of less...Start pounding a few a day mainly after rains....Good workout....Topside

12. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

LOL I was thinking the exact same thing....

13. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

How many T posts are you talking on 2-4 acres? What type of fence? We have high tensile fence around 4 acres, I only have posts every 50 feet or so on the level areas, a few more on the uneven spots. Still managed to get tendonitis in my right arm though. (Probably more from digging the 16 post holes 4 ft deep in NC red clay by hand.) Fence works fine, even fixed some problem goats. I see some people do one every 8-10 ft on high tensile, what a waste of money (posts and insulators!) and effort... save your money for a good charger, and plan on replacing it shortly after the warranty runs out (just figured this one out...). And rent a post hole digger!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  14. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7

"minimal amount of effort" .. wouldn't that depend on who is doing the driving and what that person is driving that metal post into? If one can afford the better equiptment, I would suggest it be used. Driving metal posts into hard-rock is not always just a little effort. (I drove metal posts into an area that did "not" have "movable" rocks. It was a hardpan made up of "solid" rock. I would not suggest that anyone do this if they don't have to.)

15. 7thswan

7thswan Well-Known Member Supporter

This is how we did it. I hold, dh runs the tractor, our soil basicaly lets us just push them into the ground.

16. Qhorseman

Qhorseman Well-Known Member

There are some pneumatic driven ones on the market. I won't drive them anymore with the bucket of the tractor, had a post spring loose from under the bucket and knock me out cold.

17. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Hire a teenager to pound,,,believe me they could use the money..Topside

18. mrs.H

Thanks every one. The links were very helpful. I'm sure we will be renting one. That is kind of expensive.

19. mrs.H

We will be using field fence. This would be our perimeter fence. My husband wants to place the posts close, like every 10 feet. Since he is placing them and paying for them, I'm good with that. Very little level area on the parcel we are looking at right now. 2 acres in front mostly flat, 4 acres rolling woods.

20. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

:happy:So his money is not yours???

What type of animals are you going to be fencing. Many like to scratch on field fence and will destroy it over time unless you add a strand of electric. Also horned goats will get their heads stuck in them...