Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
21,438 Posts
Heck, I got cut in front of today by a white woman. Now I'm a victim too.

Did they really say that? Not doubting your word but that just seems very petty. It happens to all of us.
Yes they did say it. Heck, I've cut into line before when I was sidetracked looking at something. When I saw what I did I apologized and went to the back of the line. Even before social distancing became a craze some people always lagged back a ways and it was hard to really tell where the end of the line was with people walking by and such.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,567 Posts
Underachieving schools in poor black communities might be considered systemic racism.
-This is more due to LBJ passing the Great Society welfare program. Paying women to have babies out of wedlock was and is an egregiously asinine idea. Single parent family is the single most determinant factor in poor school performance.
Blacks getting harsher sentences than whites for drug offenses might be considered systemic racism.
-This was 100% due to Joe Biden's 1986 crime bill. It isn't systemic racism, it is the personal innate racism of Uncle Joe.
Lack of grocery stores in poor black neighborhoods might be considered systemic racism.
-Have you gone into a grocery store in a black neighborhood? They have metal detectors and security guards at the doors and still have incredible rates of pilferage. Every aisle has open partially consumed food packages laying all over. There is poop, pee, and drug paraphernalia all along the sidewalks. The places are dirty. The staff is totally unhelpful. And when they riot, the cops tell the rioters to go ahead and loot the stores.
None of these things are due to systemic racism, but are due to the content of the character of those involved.
That's your opinion. Many have the opinion it is systemic racism.

I don't really care what it is, I just want it fixed. The basis of the US is all equal under the law and under the Constitution and under God.

·
Saltine American
6,784 Posts
Are you saying we are not?
I think we are as equal as possible. Sentences for crime are based on the crime committed and the criminal record of the person being sentenced.
According to the FBI homicide data for 2019, blacks are 7 times more likely to commit homicide than whites. Population wise we have six times more whites than blacks, but blacks commit 50% more murders than whites. I haven't looked at violent crime rates in a while, but I think they would reflect the same thing.

Most offenders are poor, didn't complete high school, have no job skills, and live in the inner city. Single-parent homes are a big problem.
We allowed our government to do this!

·
Registered
21,438 Posts
Equal under the law and equal are 2 different things.
Equal opportunity and equal outcome are 2 different things too. If one attends school regularly, doesn't break the law, doesn't become pregnant, and shows up for work regularly, his/her chance of succeeding in this country is very high no matter the color of his/her skin. We have absolute proof of that because many minority people have done it and continue to. Go to any drive through restaurant and you will notice new faces working there every week because most opt not to show up and are fired or just quit. Such people are self programmed to fail no matter their color. The normal used to be you started out at a low paying job and showed up everyday while keeping you eye out for a better job so you could move up one step at a time.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Equal opportunity and equal outcome are 2 different things too. If one attends school regularly, doesn't break the law, doesn't become pregnant, and shows up for work regularly, his/her chance of succeeding in this country is very high no matter the color of his/her skin. We have absolute proof of that because many minority people have done it and continue to. Go to any drive through restaurant and you will notice new faces working there every week because most opt not to show up and are fired or just quit. Such people are self programmed to fail no matter their color. The normal used to be you started out at a low paying job and showed up everyday while keeping you eye out for a better job so you could move up one step at a time.
I don't eat there but the local Wendy's shut down last week. All the employees walked out at the same time. Just glad I cook my own food!!! Nobody wants to work...

·
Registered
21,438 Posts
I don't eat there but the local Wendy's shut down last week. All the employees walked out at the same time. Just glad I cook my own food!!! Nobody wants to work...

Exactly right. It is just easier to blame it on some ghost racism no one can find or some other fault of society, but certainly not their own fault in any way.

Reactions: muleskinner2

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,567 Posts
The question is has the government's policies, laws, or regulations contributed to the problem and if so, they need to be rectified. One of the primary reasons for having a government is to protect INDIVIDUAL rights. Are the rights of a poor, black child who wants to go to school and learn being effectively protected and guaranteed by the government? If that child is threatened by gangs is the government doing its job? If the facility is unsafe, is the government doing its job? If other students are allowed to be disruptive, is the government doing its job?

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
The question is has the government's policies, laws, or regulations contributed to the problem and if so, they need to be rectified. One of the primary reasons for having a government is to protect INDIVIDUAL rights. Are the rights of a poor, black child who wants to go to school and learn being effectively protected and guaranteed by the government? If that child is threatened by gangs is the government doing its job? If the facility is unsafe, is the government doing its job? If other students are allowed to be disruptive, is the government doing its job?
I'm going to chime in here. The government should never be the first line in education. I'm one who is back and forth with home schoolings. I have pluses and minuses either way. I said on another thread I went to the 13th grade. I have home school nephews who can tear a house apart and put it together again. They have very little social skills on interaction with others. I've made them start showing the houses for rent...

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,567 Posts
I'm going to chime in here. The government should never be the first line in education. I'm one who is back and forth with home schoolings. I have pluses and minuses either way. I said on another thread I went to the 13th grade. I have home school nephews who can tear a house apart and put it together again. They have very little social skills on interaction with others. I've made them start showing the houses for rent...
I'm talking about individual rights, not education. We give the government the use of force to protect our individual rights from those who threaten them. I gave 3 examples of a student's rights being violated and the government not fulfilling its obligation to protect them.

·
Registered
21,438 Posts

That goes to the question of does government do anything right? Not really. Many years ago education was largely locally controlled but as is typical with government involvement in anything, they assumed more and more control as the years went by. As usual, more and more people assumed government was their friend and willfully gave up more and more of their control of education. Government policies are nearly always one size fits all and that does not suit education very well.

·
Registered
526 Posts
You think it's the governments job to protect kids from gangs? How do you propose they do that? And why single out the poor black kid? Isn't the poor white kid entitled to the same protection? If so, why even mention race? If the facility is unsafe, is it somehow just unsafe for black kids? If other students are disruptive, are only black kids disturbed by it?

I pointed out an example of government mandated, no question about it, racism. Affirmative action is racist against white people by any definition of racism. Give me a solid example like that one of systemic racism against another race.

·
Registered
10,618 Posts
That's your opinion. Many have the opinion it is systemic racism.

I don't really care what it is, I just want it fixed. The basis of the US is all equal under the law and under the Constitution and under God.
Rule of law, equal justice, nation of laws and all that are just cliches. They are the "Some natural flavor added" in your Orange drink.
The United States version of justice really has never operated on any system other than the rule of political wills.

·
Premium Member
41,725 Posts
Rule of law, equal justice, nation of laws and all that are just cliches. They are the "Some natural flavor added" in your Orange drink.
The United States version of justice really has never operated on any system other than the rule of political wills.
I’ve not heard of any system any better. Most are far worse.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,567 Posts
You think it's the governments job to protect kids from gangs? How do you propose they do that? And why single out the poor black kid? Isn't the poor white kid entitled to the same protection? If so, why even mention race? If the facility is unsafe, is it somehow just unsafe for black kids? If other students are disruptive, are only black kids disturbed by it?

I pointed out an example of government mandated, no question about it, racism. Affirmative action is racist against white people by any definition of racism. Give me a solid example like that one of systemic racism against another race.
Yes, it is the government's responsibility to protect a child walking to or from school from gangs, That's what police are for, to make sure we live in a safe environment. We give the government the power to use force so that we don't have to. It would be the wild west if every person was allowed to use force to protect their individual rights. We granted the government the right to create courts to resolve issues and to use force when necessary.

I singled out poor, black kids because the subject of this thread is systemic racism. I used examples used by the left because I think there may be merit to some of them. Whether they are racist or not I was careful to avoid. To me, the issue is any child should be able to safely walk or ride the bus to school every day.

Affirmative action, as written is not racist. The law was written to aggressively look for minority candidates for positions, not to give them priority over other candidates. . Affirmative action is not by itself racist, but the way it has been implemented (quotas) may be.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,567 Posts
That goes to the question of does government do anything right? Not really. Many years ago education was largely locally controlled but as is typical with government involvement in anything, they assumed more and more control as the years went by. As usual, more and more people assumed government was their friend and willfully gave up more and more of their control of education. Government policies are nearly always one size fits all and that does not suit education very well.
I obviously wasn't clear because no one got my point. I was focussing on a child having the right to safely go to school or anywhere else for that matter. We give the government the right to use force (the police, the military), to provide this security. If a child cannot safely walk to school because of gangs, drugs, and other criminals, then the government is not performing one of its primary responsibilities. If this is happening primarily in minority communities, then it might be systemic racism.

21 - 40 of 224 Posts