Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Unapologetically me
21,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me an example of systemic racism?
Institutional racism?
I hear these words being thrown around, but I'm not sure I understand what they mean

Reactions: georger

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
Making you check a box telling what race you are for nearly everything from the government. Why bother keeping count on how many of this race or that one? It's been going on since Jim Crow days.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,612 Posts
Underachieving schools in poor black communities might be considered systemic racism.
Blacks getting harsher sentences than whites for drug offenses might be considered systemic racism.
Lack of grocery stores in poor black neighborhoods might be considered systemic racism.

Please note I did not say these examples are systemic racism, but they might be considered to be. I made up my platform as if I was running for governor of Virginia and I included a commission to examine things like this to determine if they are caused by systemic racism or other causes. These are real problems that need to be addressed, regardless of cause.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Can anyone give me an example of systemic racism?
Institutional racism?
I hear these words being thrown around, but I'm not sure I understand what they mean
The police force in my hometown used to require applicants to be over 6 ft tall. While being large has certain advantages, it isn't necessary to the job. There are good coos who are 5'9" or 5'10". That policy placed applicants from Asian backgrounds (for example) at a disadvantage, as the are much less likely to be taller. That's an example of systemic racism.

I had a Jewish acquaintance who applied to be a cop, and believes he was screened out when he said he wouldn't be able to work on Yom Kippur (even though he was willing to work Christmas, Easter, etc. so Christian cops could have the day off). Assuming he's right, that would be a form of institutional racism.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
The police force in my hometown used to require applicants to be over 6 ft tall. While being large has certain advantages, it isn't necessary to the job. There are good coos who are 5'9" or 5'10". That policy placed applicants from Asian backgrounds (for example) at a disadvantage, as the are much less likely to be taller. That's an example of systemic racism.

I had a Jewish acquaintance who applied to be a cop, and believes he was screened out when he said he wouldn't be able to work on Yom Kippur (even though he was willing to work Christmas, Easter, etc. so Christian cops could have the day off). Assuming he's right, that would be a form of institutional racism.
80 percent of LEO s here couldn't run the hundred yard dash! I wouldn't want to get a wrestling match with them 😉... That's for lawyers to work out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Underachieving schools in poor black communities might be considered systemic racism.
-This is more due to LBJ passing the Great Society welfare program. Paying women to have babies out of wedlock was and is an egregiously asinine idea. Single parent family is the single most determinant factor in poor school performance.
Blacks getting harsher sentences than whites for drug offenses might be considered systemic racism.
-This was 100% due to Joe Biden's 1986 crime bill. It isn't systemic racism, it is the personal innate racism of Uncle Joe.
Lack of grocery stores in poor black neighborhoods might be considered systemic racism.
-Have you gone into a grocery store in a black neighborhood? They have metal detectors and security guards at the doors and still have incredible rates of pilferage. Every aisle has open partially consumed food packages laying all over. There is poop, pee, and drug paraphernalia all along the sidewalks. The places are dirty. The staff is totally unhelpful. And when they riot, the cops tell the rioters to go ahead and loot the stores.
None of these things are due to systemic racism, but are due to the content of the character of those involved.

·
Registered
21,454 Posts
I would describe the idea of systemic racism as either insanity or lack of common sense. I saw a few days ago where Michelle Obama and Opra Winfrey were on some shown discussing it and they both were talking how systemic racism had personally impacted them. What a bunch of petty people. The things they used as examples happen to everyone occasionally and none of them amounted to anything. Michelle told about the time she was in a long line waiting for an ice cream or something and someone white cut in line in front of her. Hasn't that happened to all of us at some time or another? Sometimes people just don't pay attention to where the line ends or are just living in their own little world and not paying attention. I never once took it as an insult. I found it sad that 2 black women who are both extremely wealthy would even remember such things, let alone use them to show how dumb or insane they are.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
-This is more due to LBJ passing the Great Society welfare program. Paying women to have babies out of wedlock was and is an egregiously asinine idea. Single parent family is the single most determinant factor in poor school performance.
-This was 100% due to Joe Biden's 1986 crime bill. It isn't systemic racism, it is the personal innate racism of Uncle Joe.
-Have you gone into a grocery store in a black neighborhood? They have metal detectors and security guards at the doors and still have incredible rates of pilferage. Every aisle has open partially consumed food packages laying all over. There is poop, pee, and drug paraphernalia all along the sidewalks. The places are dirty. The staff is totally unhelpful. And when they riot, the cops tell the rioters to go ahead and loot the stores.
None of these things are due to systemic racism, but are due to the content of the character of those involved.
What state do you live in!?!? Town here is 68 percent black and I've never seen that. It's one of the poorer counties in the state.

·
Registered
21,454 Posts
'redline' zoning in cities
That is another term that was twisted to show racism. Lenders used redlining not for racist reasons but to denote areas where failure to pay mortgage payments was more rampant. It did often involve black neighborhoods but also poor white neighborhoods. I'm sure you have driven through neighborhoods where you knew loaning people there $100 was a lost cause and you would never be paid back. Redlined neighborhoods were always in decline with run down houses no matter what color the people were who lived there. It's just like the reason grocery stores are scarce in black areas is cited as racism. That is silly. You don't see grocery stores in run down white areas either. Ever see them put up a Walmart in a trashy area of any color? That's because theft and other crimes are high in such areas.

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
I would describe the idea of systemic racism as either insanity or lack of common sense. I saw a few days ago where Michelle Obama and Opra Winfrey were on some shown discussing it and they both were talking how systemic racism had personally impacted them. What a bunch of petty people. The things they used as examples happen to everyone occasionally and none of them amounted to anything. Michelle told about the time she was in a long line waiting for an ice cream or something and someone white cut in line in front of her. Hasn't that happened to all of us at some time or another? Sometimes people just don't pay attention to where the line ends or are just living in their own little world and not paying attention. I never once took it as an insult. I found it sad that 2 black women who are both extremely wealthy would even remember such things, let alone use them to show how dumb or insane they are.
Heck, I got cut in front of today by a white woman. Now I'm a victim too.

Did they really say that? Not doubting your word but that just seems very petty. It happens to all of us.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
My definition is that systematic racist/Institutional racism is pretty simple. Unachievers looking for excuses as to why they don't measure up or are not as successful as others. "It's not my fault, it's ___'s fault" Insert whatever institution or system you want. It's all the same. Excuses for failure

·
Registered
33,581 Posts
Let the Google be your guide...

1. How few children’s books are written by authors of color
2. School dress code policies that discriminate about popular Black hairstyles
3. How there are many more white teachers in public schools than white students

4. White human resources professionals screening out job candidates with “Black sounding” names.
5. How common housing discrimination still is even though it’s against the law
6. How history is usually taught from a white perspective in schools
7. The ways systemic racism shows up in the health care system
8. The passage of “show me your papers” laws that racially profile Latinx people
9. The police presence in Washington DC during the Black Lives Matter uprising versus the riot by white Trump supporters

Reactions: snowlady
1 - 20 of 224 Posts