Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buck that I bought over a week ago and he didn't seem well the last few days, today I noticed his tongue is very swollen. What could cause this? He is young, not ready to breed yet.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
No idea... except to suggest you check his water supply. Sometimes when a rabbit who has been used to crock gets a water bottle, he doesn't know how to use it. Sometimes water bottles that appear fine don't deliver the water properly. It may not be that at all, of course, but if he has a bottle at your house it would definitely be worth trying a bowl of water instead.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Bumping this up because I have never heard of this problem and it worries me. I'm hoping if it is at the top, perhaps someone else will be able to shed some light on the subject.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He had a bowl of water, which I have been filling 2 to 3 times a day with warm water. He passed after I posted, I did use a syringe and mixed warm water and electrolytes and slowly put in his mouth pass his tougue and he swallowed, but didn't help any. I looking in his mouth and the tougue has not marks or anything, just where it was sticking out of his mouth is was very swollen and purple. I'm wondering if bunnies can get colds, sore throat?? He was clean otherwise, no scours and no mess on his face.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Google "blue tongue in rabbits." It could be a sign of pneumonia.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Sorry you lost him, Dodgegal79. :(

Just as a precaution, I would disinfect everything that was in contact with him and, if possible, put it out in the sunshine for a few days before using it for other rabbits. No use taking chances!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks I will so all of that. I think he may of just got too stressed from the travel. I bought him at a sale but where he came from was 400 kms away and then I got him and thats another 300kms of travel for the poor guy. I did have him in the cab of the truck so it wouldn't have been too bad, but I know they still get stressed. Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Yeah, it's very likely he had a hidden pneumonia then. Pasturella likes to pop out after traveling, or other kinds of stress.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I looked up blue tongue in rabbits and all that really came up was allergic reactions. Now I don't know if that could be it, he had access to hay, straw, rabbit pellets and wheat. So far the rest of the bunnies look fine, but now I need to find another buck.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
When you do find that other buck, I hope you will quarantine him for a few weeks, for the protection of the rabbits you have now. Bringing in new rabbits, however healthy they may seem when you buy them, always carries the threat of hidden disease.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Any chance you can still do a necropsy on him? My guess would be either an allergic reaction, Poisoning, or some sort of blockage in his throat.

My SFC (Small Fat Chihuahua) has a weak trachea in addition to a heart murmur, sometimes if he eats too fast or something he sort of wheezes, and his tongue will turn blueish. It also turned blue the time he was choking on something.

Although, if he was having an allergic reaction to something, (yeah, this is harsh) you're better off that Mother Nature culled him for you than breeding that forward! :O Cuz, what good is a bunny thats allergic to wheat or hay gonna do you?

My only other thought is some sort of Venom, since its probably as cold there as it is here, that probably rules out snakes and bees, can you check his cage for spiders though? Man, I really REALLY hate spiders!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts