Swollen, Painful Foot

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tarot Farm, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

Just when I finally got the splinter out from under my nail, I was awakened with a swollen, red, painful foot! The middle toes and under pad on my foot had swollen up huge! I tried soaking it in epsom salts, then tried some ice to relieve the pain...neither one helped! I finally waited for the sun to rise, with it propped on three pillows!

I had not hurt it, or bruised it, so I could not figure out what it was that made this happen. So, I went to the Dr early this morning...

What he told me about blew me away! He said I had a secondary infection, it from a 'little mosquito bite' that happened about three days before! I have some cream to put on it and of course he gave me some antibiotics that I cannot 'be out in the sun', 'no dairy products', etc.

Today was the day for the St Jude Research Hospital trail ride! I went and rode as long as I could...after all, it was for a good reason...those children needed the money I raised by riding. Even though it was not the best thing to do..duty called. (It seems that everyone was a critic and I could hear the snears about 'look at her riding with socks on!' I could not fit a boot onto the foot, so I rode with only a sock on ONE FOOT! I let the hurting foot hang out of the stirrup, so that just made things worse...oh well....I had thought about just riding bareback!)

I have never had anything like this happen over a mosquito bite! I had scratched it, but not enought to even break the skin! The infection got into my foot 'from the bite' area. But, I had worn some leather boots after I got the bite and that is what caused the infection, I suppose.

The Dr made me feel really good, when he told me before I left, that he 'hoped that this would take care of it'. Oh great! I went to him to be cured, not for HOPE!

Has anyone else ever experienced such a bad infection from a tiny bite?

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I had my arm swell up something fierce one time over a scratch I got from some brambles. I didn't even think about the scratch, until it got really infected. It's the little things that get you!

3. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

A good reminder to keep your tetnus shots up to date.

4. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

It's been a weird year for mosquito bites.
    I had a couple on the backs of my legs swell up to the size of bowling balls, and read in CF about people with the same thing going to the Dr and being diagnosed with cellulitis.

I treated mine with epsom, tea tree, ice, and finally water as hot as I could bear which finally seemed to do the trick. I don't know what's going around.

5. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

Yes! A few years ago I spent a few hours sitting in some tall grass by a river and apparently got some kind of bite near my ankle. Within the next day, my ankle was as large as a softball, and an ever-increasing area of my foot was turning bright red/purple--then black! Talk about scary. Thankfully I got good medical treatment--powerful antibiotics in my case--so everything turned out OK. But it was quite an episode.

6. Tarot Farm

I kind of wonder if the insects are getting 'fed up' with being sprayed with chemicals and somehow have been mutated to use them against us? Like in poisonous bites caused by the over use of chemicals and sprays?

I never did have a mosquito bite get over the size of a small pencil eraser. It itched, but would be gone in the next day. Now, this happens and it makes me wonder about what is causing it to happen. From what I call tell, it is also causing problems with the livestock and this is happening all over the country.

My foot is still swollen and painful. Red to the ankle, feels hot up to the 'mid shin' area. I am taking the antibiotics, but if this is not looking better, or feeling better, I am going back to the Dr tomorrow morning!

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

How are you today? When I saw the subject title I was going to post that it is a sign of infection. Glad you went to the doctor. I had a spider bite about two years ago, my foot swelled and turned red almost immediately. Had an infection going within 24 hours.

8. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I think what he meant to say is if this antibiotic doesn't do the trick, call and let me know. He probably should have told you how long it should take the antibiotic to start working and for you to see a difference. He might prescribe something else with a phone call. He shouldn't have to see you again if you tell him it is still the same.

mary

9. Tamalama

Tamalama Well-Known Member

My husband had this happen this year after I pulled a "wood" tick off him. We took him to the Dr when the site (back of his knee) swelled and got hot. The doc diagnosed cellulitus and treated him also for Lyme (at the same time) I found out after his 22 days of super strong antibiotic that the cellulitus infection could have been fatal :eek: and here i was worried about the Lyme :shrug: Be careful, and make sure you take all your medication! This is scarier than it first appears :help:

10. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

I've noticed over the past couple years the misquito bites for me itch for several days and swell up some. Use to be by the next day they were gone. Not any more.

11. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

I had cellulitis last August. My left leg got hot to the touch and swelled up. I didn't know why. I had it for about 3 days when I went to my chiropractor for my back. I told him about it and he knew right away it was cellulitis. He said, "Get to a doctor right now". He told me I could lose the leg or die. That was all I needed to hear. I was on antibiotics for three weeks also. It is nothing to fool around with. It's good you went to the doctor for help. "Hope" it gets better soon".

I am glad you got the splinter out. NJ Rich :)

12. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Hope your feeling better now. Have you tried soaking it in charcoal water?

13. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

This is more than a skeeter bite! How are you today? Hope you went back to the Doc.

Good luck, it sounds so painful!

Hoping you are better now....LQ

14. Tarot Farm

I have been to the ER, another Dr., and back to the ER again...with the swollen foot. It got worse and I do mean much worse! I have not even seen a sunburn this RED! One Dr said not to soak it, but wash it several times a day in hot, soapy water...the one from the ER said to soak it four times a day...LOL The other Dr (from a bigger city, said that they had seen a lot of similar syptoms with swollen feet and infection....most end up in the hospital...so he wanted to admit me for tests, etc.)

They changed the antibiotics and of course I have NEVER had any reactions to antibiotics before....but what ever it was they injected into me caused a major allergic reaction! I thought I was never going to see home again!

I went for a cart ride with my Miniature Horse this afternoon. I put my swollen foot up in the seat and said what the heck...I want a ride in the country! When I got back 4 hours later, the foot looked better! Most of the swelling is out of it, except for the foot itself...the ankle and upper leg looks about normal...but still a bit red...not as hot as it was before. things were looking up! I actually felt good!

I had a temperature of 101.2 at the ER. It was still 100 to 101 here this morning. This afternoon after I got back from the ride it was 99. Now after I took a shower and have been resting, the temperature is back to 101. I am going back to the first Dr I started with in the morning.

IF I get over this one alive, I am going to start wearing garlands of garlic around my neck to keep those mosquitoes away!

15. Tarot Farm

Do you mean someting like activated charcoal and hot water? I never heard of this remedy before. I know that charcoal is an antidote for poison, etc.

16. terrythetaod

terrythetaod Well-Known Member

This happened to me after the 2004 hurricanes. My daughter's rabbit cages were standing in about 8 inches of water. I was out there for a while moving the cages to higher ground, and several fire ants hitched a ride on my foot and bit me to say thanks. The bites got infected, and about two days later my foot turned red and was swollen. I tried to ignore it but after a couple more days I could barely walk. I had to go to the doc for antibiotics, and it still took several days to heal.